Vest, Lanyard or Chest Pack?

fire8702

Reaction score
Hi guys,
What do you like to use, a vest, neck lanyard or a chest pack? I have a vest but have been looking to do something different. Good idea or no? I know it is personal preference, but what do you guys like the most. What would be the most practical for a newbie?

wt bash

Reaction score
I've been toting two small boxes tucked into my waders and a neck lanyard that holds tippet, license, floatant, and hemos. Sometimes, depending on the season and river I'll just carry a sling pack.

mojo

Reaction score
I personally like this Satchel
Vests and fanny packs, of which I still have, gather dust . I prefer the satchel, man bag, or whatever you call it.

nmmay33

Reaction score
Still new to fly fishing, but at the moment I have a WJ fanny pack I got for sale that works pretty well for days when I am not wearing a jacket, and a frogg toggs jacket with a good assortment of pockets for when I am.

I imagine those will change over time, but if the Army taught me anything, its to have multiple options on hand, so I will probably keep and use multiple types of packs, vests, etc. over time.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
There was an almost identical post a day or two ago. I didn't have the lanyard option. I go along the lines of w t bash when you toss lanyards in the mix. I have a satchel I leave on the shore most of the stuff I drag along. I wear a lanyard with tippet, forceps, a small UV light, a knot pick, clippers, etc. I'd post a picture of it, but every one I have that shows even a part of it, has a fish in the way. I really like it. I generally tuck most of the thing into the top of my waders. Loose hanging things, chest packs, pockets etc, just seem to be in the way when I spey cast.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Rock hopping the Sierra streams I use a sling pack.
Float tubing I still use a vest and side pockets.

Rock hopping the vest balloons; throws me off balance; gets caught on things.
Float tubing the sling pack gets wet.

tbblom

Reaction score
I like to have a complete arsenal at all times, so I wear a vest usually (streamers, nymphs, midges, dries, crayfish, and some other weirdness in summer). I keep a reel in one of the back pockets with a spare spool of sinking line. Grab the vest and a rod tube and I am ready to go, whether stillwater or rivers. I dress for work kind of drab so I can hit the creek over lunch or after work. My vest has a nice pouch for my net as well.

Hiking in a few miles, I will just take the basics: nippers, forceps, tippet, and a single fly box in the top of my pack. I have tried the hip-pack, but I don't like how everything is jumbled in one or two pockets (where is the darn tippet?! Always at the bottom).

I've considered trying a lanyard, but I don't like having stuff hanging around my neck while I am bushwhacking. I would probably slip and fall and hang myself. Doh!

The sling bag might work, but I can't deal with the man-purse under my arm.

axle27

Reaction score
I usually keep a lanyard equipped at all times so it goes whether I'm using a vest or a chest pack.

Vest usually if I'm fishing close to the cabin/truck. For excursions (day trips) I usually take my chestpack/backpack combo.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have 2 vests, a shoulder bag, a fanny pack, and a couple of different boatbags and landyards , all loaded up and ready to go for different fishing situations.
The only option that I've tried and not cared for was the chest pack. For me it was in the way

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I use one of two vests for trout. One is normal cloth for when its cold out and I want an extra layer to keep me warm. Then I have a mesh vest for when its mild or hot out and I still want to have everything. For the warmwater creek fishing I do i use a backpack with all kinds of stuff in it. I have thought about getting a chest pack but im not sure on the comfort of one.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
As someone with a vest, lanyard, chest pack and backpack I think it's fair to say there's a time and place for each of them. In the winter I like the chest pack/backpack because it makes swapping layers easy as pie. I alsolike to carry an extra dry sweater in case I take a slip and a coffee pot for a stream side brew.
In the summer nothing beats wet wading and the filson strap vest for me. Just the right size for everything to be comfortable and some room in the back for a water bottle.

jhammer

Reaction score
I usually use my vest. Except for when I wet wade. Then, I use a lanyard. When I wet wade, I have a small waterproof Plano box I stuff my flies in. Then, the equipment goes on my lanyard. I used to use a waterproof bag, but the lanyard system works much better wading because then I only have my rod to carry. :cool:

theboz

Reaction score
Vest but I don't know why. It has more unusable pockets with holes in them than usable ones. Half the time I end up stuffing gear in my waders . Most times I carry a bag or backpack cause if I can I'd rather wet wade. Shirts and shorts with multiple pockets usually do the trick.

jk 8

Reaction score
I dont like to carry a lot of stuff usually, as I move real fast when I fish, and dont use many different patterns, so I carry a very small chest pack, holds two fly boxes, tippet and a couple of other odds and ends that are always helpful to have. \

More comfortable than carrying that all on a lanyard or in outside pockets, and still very compact so I can stay mobile, which is key for me.

TAT

Reaction score
I've used vests, fanny packs, daypacks, shoulder bags, lanyards alone and in different combinations. Having an arthritic neck and shoulders doesn't make it any easier.

Best combination for me is the lanyard for all my light grab tools and a lightweight fanny pack for lunch, water bottle, rain jacket, sunscreen, TP, droid etc. I put a fly box in each front pocket of my Academy fishing shirt. This has been the best way for me to keep the weight off my shoulders and forces me to pack light. I used to carry all kinds of **** down to the river and found I just didn't need it all. Huge difference. Packing this way has made me less top heavy and feels so much better on those hot days. Nice not schlepping all that weight around.

I also started using waist high waders to keep the straps off my shoulders. Otherwise I just wade with neoprene socks and wading boots if the weather permits.

I'm currently shopping for a new lanyard. I didn't know you could spend several hundred dollars on a custom vanity lanyard. Sheesh. :eek: Any suggestions on a good one?

And fanny pack too. I had a fishpond waterdance. Nice pack but found it was just a little too large for my needs. I may try the dragonfly this go around. Cabelas has a new private label one out too.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I'm currently shopping for a new lanyard. I didn't know you could spend several hundred dollars on a custom vanity lanyard. Sheesh. :eek: Any suggestions on a good one?
I made my own. I have made a bunch of them for friends as well. For the several hundred dollars they want for the 'vanity' lanyards, I could make a fairly good sized pile of them.

rapman

Reaction score
I've started to gather the bits I need to make my own lanyard, but haven't had any luck locating foam or neoprene tubes for the back of my neck. Any suggestions, Dan?