The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vest, Lanyard or Chest Pack?

Here is the other thread that was almost identcal. You guys may want to look at it also.
vest or chest packs for fly fishing
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I use one of two vests for trout. One is normal cloth for when its cold out and I want an extra layer to keep me warm. Then I have a mesh vest for when its mild or hot out and I still want to have everything. For the warmwater creek fishing I do i use a backpack with all kinds of stuff in it. I have thought about getting a chest pack but im not sure on the comfort of one.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

backpack .
Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

As someone with a vest, lanyard, chest pack and backpack I think it's fair to say there's a time and place for each of them. In the winter I like the chest pack/backpack because it makes swapping layers easy as pie. I alsolike to carry an extra dry sweater in case I take a slip and a coffee pot for a stream side brew.
In the summer nothing beats wet wading and the filson strap vest for me. Just the right size for everything to be comfortable and some room in the back for a water bottle.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I usually use my vest. Except for when I wet wade. Then, I use a lanyard. When I wet wade, I have a small waterproof Plano box I stuff my flies in. Then, the equipment goes on my lanyard. I used to use a waterproof bag, but the lanyard system works much better wading because then I only have my rod to carry.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Vest but I don't know why. It has more unusable pockets with holes in them than usable ones. Half the time I end up stuffing gear in my waders . Most times I carry a bag or backpack cause if I can I'd rather wet wade. Shirts and shorts with multiple pockets usually do the trick.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

I dont like to carry a lot of stuff usually, as I move real fast when I fish, and dont use many different patterns, so I carry a very small chest pack, holds two fly boxes, tippet and a couple of other odds and ends that are always helpful to have. \

More comfortable than carrying that all on a lanyard or in outside pockets, and still very compact so I can stay mobile, which is key for me.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM

TAT is on a distinguished road

I've used vests, fanny packs, daypacks, shoulder bags, lanyards alone and in different combinations. Having an arthritic neck and shoulders doesn't make it any easier.

Best combination for me is the lanyard for all my light grab tools and a lightweight fanny pack for lunch, water bottle, rain jacket, sunscreen, TP, droid etc. I put a fly box in each front pocket of my Academy fishing shirt. This has been the best way for me to keep the weight off my shoulders and forces me to pack light. I used to carry all kinds of **** down to the river and found I just didn't need it all. Huge difference. Packing this way has made me less top heavy and feels so much better on those hot days. Nice not schlepping all that weight around.

I also started using waist high waders to keep the straps off my shoulders. Otherwise I just wade with neoprene socks and wading boots if the weather permits.

I'm currently shopping for a new lanyard. I didn't know you could spend several hundred dollars on a custom vanity lanyard. Sheesh. Any suggestions on a good one?

And fanny pack too. I had a fishpond waterdance. Nice pack but found it was just a little too large for my needs. I may try the dragonfly this go around. Cabelas has a new private label one out too.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT View Post
I'm currently shopping for a new lanyard. I didn't know you could spend several hundred dollars on a custom vanity lanyard. Sheesh. Any suggestions on a good one?
I made my own. I have made a bunch of them for friends as well. For the several hundred dollars they want for the 'vanity' lanyards, I could make a fairly good sized pile of them.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

I've started to gather the bits I need to make my own lanyard, but haven't had any luck locating foam or neoprene tubes for the back of my neck. Any suggestions, Dan?