The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road
Default The Flyfishing Show - Marlboro, MA

Just attended yesterday. The last time I was there was 1999, and it was just as if nothing changed at all. The exception being Lefty Kreh now 87 years old. It is always a joy to watch his casting demonstrations. For an old feller he can surely flip that line around, and I am amazed at how old age has not dimmed his speech. He speaks lucidly, and with none of the age-related slowness so common with elderly. Like I said, its always a pleasure.

Other than that, nothing else notable, and if it weren't for meeting some old friends there for breakfast, I'd be happy never to return. All the products offered seemed old and stale and worn from travelling. Shopkeepers looked tired and forlorn, eager for the day to end (and I got there early in the AM). There was a large percentage of lodges and guides pumping their services. Seems like everyone wanted my name and address. which I was loathe to part with. All I need is more junk mail or telemarketers calling.

I bought a Fishpond wading belt, and headed home, content that I'm good to go for another ten years.

Did anyone else go to this show?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Flyfishing Show - Marlboro, MA

I tried to go on Saturday, but some sickness in my family kept me from being able to. I was looking forward to it.

Pocono
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

How's your dad feeling?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Sort of disappointing to read. I'm going to my first show, next week in NJ. I only have a short time that I can be there, as it's an in-travel pass-through. I land at Newark at 0738., retrieve my car, and get to the Convention Center. Problem is that i need to be in Albany, NY (3.25 hours away) by NLT 1700, so I'll only have a few hours to enjoy the show.

Hopefully, the "first show" lure will make it more enjoyable than your experience!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Sort of disappointing to read. I'm going to my first show, next week in NJ.
You'll enjoy yourself. The shows are what you make of it. Personally I like to attend as many seminars as I can fit in as there's boatloads of information to be had. There was one single seminar that I attended 3 times over the years as there was so much information to absorb.
And you can't watch Lefty cast too many times. He's worth the price of admission all by himself.
I like to make a list of things to purchase, mostly tying and rod building materals, and when I walk through the booths, that's what I look for.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I like to make a list of things to purchase, mostly tying and rod building materals, and when I walk through the booths, that's what I look for.
LOL! I already have my "shopping list" for tying materials, based on the ongoing SBS thread on this forum, and some patterns in Charlie Craven's book that I want to try.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Never been to the show but was planning to attend this year. It won't be in my neck of the woods until the first weekend in March. Hopefully Lefty will be casting in Pasadena.