The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM

nmmay33 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing Clubs

I went to a local sportsman show here in Billings and talked with a guy from Magic City Fly Fishers. He was really friendly and seemed like a good guy to me. I picked up a membership form and some other information. As a new fly fisher, and new to MT (only been here 6 weeks), I thought it might be a good way to meet some local anglers, get some friendly advice, and learn about good fishing spots.

Do you guys think its worth the money to join? It isnt expensive really, but I had never heard of fly fishing clubs before so I am not sure if they are a good resource.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Fly Fishing Clubs

Worth it certainly if you're new to fly fishing as well as the area.
The wealth of knowledge from the anglers will certainly be useful, and you will likely gain more from them as a club member than if you ran into them on the river or at the tackle store. Not many folks like to give up secret spots etc to complete strangers...at least with the club they will get to see you regularly and therefore be more likely to share more.
Not to mention the club may have access to private water not normally accessible to the public

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've belonged to the Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association since the 1970's. As a kid I was a "family member" with my father and really couldn't see the point of sitting around talking about fishing when you could actually be out fishing , so didn't go much. But since that time I've more than warmed up to the idea.

You meet a lot of people with the same interests as yourself. There's a lot to learn from others and others that can learn from you. Our club has beginners and advanced classes for fly fishing and fly tying and a very popular rod building class as well.
We have a stretch of river that we maintain and monitor.
There's monthly meetings with presentations from area and nationally known fly fishing personalities
Comming up on Febuary 4 is our annual Expo and banquet which I'll post information about soon for the local folks
Lefty attended last year, as he seems to fairly regularly. We've also had over the years everyone from Dave Whitlock to Ernest Schwiebert
You learn, you teach, you meet a lot of people, you get to fish with a lot of people.
It's a win/win and something anyone in our sport would enjoy.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 01-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Almost everything that I've learned about fly fishing, and fly tying was from being a member of this forum plus my fly fishing club. Well worth it, IMO.
Our club had a number of outings each year that you normally wouldn't know about. Those guys know where and when the fish are. There wasn't a week that would go by that we couldn't find fish somewhere based on their experience.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had enough people for a club up here. If we took everyone from both sides of the border that fly fishes here, making it an international club, we get a grand total of two members, Bill and myself. He lives across the river in Canada. I have joked about making us shirts. Put President Canadian Chapter on his. Sigh......sad huh?
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty funny Dan. Looks like you have some great fishing there. Maybe you need some out of state members?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I wish we had enough people for a club up here. If we took everyone from both sides of the border that fly fishes here, making it an international club, we get a grand total of two members, Bill and myself. He lives across the river in Canada. I have joked about making us shirts. Put President Canadian Chapter on his. Sigh......sad huh?
Dan: LOL! That is a great idea!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmmay33 View Post
I went to a local sportsman show here in Billings and talked with a guy from Magic City Fly Fishers. He was really friendly and seemed like a good guy to me. I picked up a membership form and some other information. As a new fly fisher, and new to MT (only been here 6 weeks), I thought it might be a good way to meet some local anglers, get some friendly advice, and learn about good fishing spots.

Do you guys think its worth the money to join? It isnt expensive really, but I had never heard of fly fishing clubs before so I am not sure if they are a good resource.
There worth every penny! the Magic City Fly Fishers $25 yearly family membership is a drop in the bucket compared to what it will bring you back, you'll never regret it! For a reference the club I belong two's due's for a family are $50 a year

Rick
Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dan: LOL! That is a great idea!
I thought so, but Bill told me wouldn't be able to wear it over there. He said "Oh, they would give me way to much guff." Apparently they don't look at us fly fisherman as normal on his side of the river. I thought about making one with Rainy River Spey Club. Maybe small letters that say, "The meeting's wherever I am"
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I'll have to agree that they are worth every penny. The key is that you have to "participate". I joined the local TU chapter a year ago. I made it a point to go to as many meetings and events as possible. I've learned so much and met so many people who I would now consider friends. While this board has been invaluable, there is only so much that you can learn from posts. Sometimes you just have to see and try things first hand.