The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's Your Highest Altitude Fishing Spot?

One of my favorite places on earth to fish is Willow lake in the Snowmass/Maroon Bells Wilderness. I believe the lake elevation is exactly 11,775. I will try to dig up some pics.

Its a bit of a hike to get into but it's solidly one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Now that my horse has gone under I don't make it up there anymore. RIP Pete!
Best mountain horse ever.
mcnerney and tbblom like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Glad this got resurected. I now try not to get caught out fishing if I'm going to be above 8 feet unless they are gentle swells.

But I checked google earth got the elevation of one of my favorite spots in Colorado. It appears that the water there is very mysterious because one part of the lake surface is 11,138 feet but on the other side the surface is 11,143 feet. I'm glad I used tap water for my water level and not water from that lake.

That was were I learned not to use the rubber tubing from a wrist rocket to straighten a curly leader if you value your eyes. It broke when I drew back on it up there and I thought I had lost the sight in one eye for quite a while. It dropped me to the ground and I couldn't see a thing for what seemed like 5 minutes. The pain was excruciating.

The lake was filled with cutthroats of all sizes. Very healthy fish. The most recent fire ring was at least 2 full summers old - not surprising since there were no trails leading into it, and a shin-beating bushwacking climb besides.

The outlet that fed into the Eagle River held cutts to the falls then starving brookies by the thousands below the falls. The giant-headed stunted-body variety. They would go into a frenzy for a pebble thrown into the creek.

If I had a chopper or knew somebody with one, I'd like to go back there.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

One of my favorite threads is back!!!! As far as I'm concerned, the golden trout lakes of the Wind River Range are the Holiest of Holies. Pure golden trout fisheries can only exist at the tops of alpine mountain drainages. Goldens need very cold and clean water. But more importantly, goldens will hybridize with any cutts or rainbows they come in contact with. So they must be isolated in lakes that sit high above the cutthroat lakes above impassable waterfalls.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

stl_geoff, tbblom and smarty140 like this.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Looks like an awesome place with some fish to match!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher