The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 02:50 PM

shmish is on a distinguished road
Default couple of questions about fly lines

hi everyone,

I have a wf floating line that I converted into an exchangable tip system. something like the front 10ft was removed and I now interchange the floating tip with sink tips, hooking the tip to line with loops (I didn't do the modification, a guy a the fly shop did it). As well, I am currently hooking my leaders to my floating tip with loops instead of tying a knot. I'm wondering if this system really compromises my casting and presentation. I'm not using the sink tips much so it's not a big deal if I get rid of the system. If it's not that much of a compromise then that's fine too because I'm in no hurry to buy a new line.

Secondly, is there an easy way to identify a type of fly line? I have a sinking line but i can't remember what type it is. I'm pretty sure it's an intermediate sinking line but that's as much as I can remember.

thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: couple of questions about fly lines

If the loops are tied/constructed properly, then the loop connected multi-tip system should work just fine for you. Without seeing it, its hard to give a prognosis of this set-up you mentioned.

On line identification, that's kinda tough. Most intermediate lines tend to be a lighter, though not bright color. I've seen intermediate lines in clear, cream, olive, blues, and similar colors. The best way to tell its sink rate is to put it in water. On faster sinking lines, the darker ones generally sink faster.

So basically, if you've got a yellow line, a light grey one, a charcoal one, and a black one, I would expect the yellow one to be the floater, and the sink rates to increase as you move towards the darker end of the color/brightness spectrum.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.