The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fishing with your significant other

My wife tried hunting with me once 20 years ago; before it was fully daylight she had lost her boot in a bog hole and soaked her foot and it kind of went downhill from there. That was it for hunting.
I got back into flyfishing in '09 and outfitted her for a trip in '10; sometime between the mice in the camp and a surprise cold rainshower she decided this wasn't for her either. There's no going back now 'cause I sold her waders
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my wife and i fish together all the time. she was a spin fisher and one day she asked to try and cast my fly rod while fishing at a lake. Of course it didn't go over well and she said that fly fishing wasn't for her.
The following spring I decided that I would teach her how to cast and after an afternoon of practicing in the back yard I could see that she was a natural. Having learned how to cast she got the bug and fly fishing became her new hobby. Waders, boots, vest, rods, reels etc. where purchased and the addiction began.
Now she accompanies me on almost every fishing trip . Sure is nice to having a fishing partner who can double as a baby sitter. We don't always fish right next to each other but at the end of the day we share our stories of the catch of the day, who caught more and who caught the biggest.
During the winter months when fishing is slow we compare fly boxes and discuss our trips and hopes for future fishing trips together. Never doubt that your wife can be a great fishing partner. Plus if you can get her into it she let you get more gear because she'll want more too.
Click the image to open in full size.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Don't do it.
Cost's too damn much. Twice as many rods, reels, boots, waders, boats, vests, etc. etc. etc.
And when they catch the first fish- you never hear the end of it. Until they catch another one. And another one.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Don't do it.
Cost's too damn much. Twice as many rods, reels, boots, waders, boats, vests, etc. etc. etc.
And when they catch the first fish- you never hear the end of it. Until they catch another one. And another one.

Better erase this before Joni sees it, or your teefers will really look like this.

Dave
grassonfly likes this.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Don't do it.
You're a dead man.
lol,
Gary

Oh, and I truly hope we get Joni's perspective on fishing with HER significant other!

Last edited by gt05254; 01-24-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

I taught my wife to cast and it was perfectly fine. Plus you get to kind of get flirty with her while standing behind her while you let her get the feeling of the rod loading.(man, that could be taken in such an R rated manner ). Anyways, it only takes about 15 minutes to teach someone to cast a fly rod. Tell them to cast diagonally 10 ft in front of them, teach them to mend, watch the fly or indicator for a strike, repeat, walk two steps upstream and do it all over again and ANYONE with the most basic amount of coordination can fly fish. It takes an hour to learn how to be a decent fly fisherman, but a lifetime of practice to be great. That's why I love our sport.

Anyways, while my wife is a good fly fisherwoman, she likes to do other things more, so usually only does it for an hour or so while on a trip. She doesn't like bugs, which puts her behind the 8 ball in becoming an accomplished fly fisherwoman. She is too good to me though, because, even though she isn't crazy about it like I am, all of our family vacations end up in "fishy" locations. Wonderful woman and God broke the mold after her. Anyways, my son is 2 and he will end up my fishing companion. I'm patient.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
You're a dead man.
lol,
Gary

Oh, and I truly hope we get Joni's perspective on fishing with HER significant other!
I agree Gary...Send a PM and invite her.

See how fast Mojo can edit his post...lol

Dave
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

One quick word of advice. If your buying a rod/reel outfit for your wife, get an outfit you will use if she doesn't like to flyfish. I won' t fish with a pink rod........
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have been very fortunate in that when I finally settled down the woman I married already loved Alaska and Salmon fishing. She doesn't go every day like I do but enjoys the days when she does. Sometimes she does much better than I do with the fish.

Hear's a shot during high water.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This is from a float trip that she did real well on.

fysh and tbblom like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,these pics entirely refute your and Dan's theory no big mustache is necessary to catch big fish!