The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fishing with your significant other

my girlfriend begrudgingly tries to catch fish if I bring a second rod for her (still hasn't though). She says she's not into it, but then won't let me untangle her snags for her, certainly does not want any drift advice, and tends to know where fish hold on her own. Sounds like she's into it...
She generally just makes sour faces at me when I've been fishing in one spot for too long, which helps cover more water, but usually I prefer to just take the dog out fishing. The dog and I are just more patient. Despite this, I almost always invite her, I do love her company.
If we go out fishing together, I don't make catching fish a goal. We do more scouting, hiking, and picnicking; if I can get the line wet I am usually pretty happy.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

My wife loves to get out and fly fish, not to the addictive state of mind I do but a healthy amount.

She picks up a book, hikes around or lies in the sun when the fishing isn’t so great but enjoys getting on the river regardless.
I think I have taught her well in that area “It’s not so much about the fishing it’s about getting out and enjoying nature” and when I put it like that it lowers the pressure and makes it fun.

Over the years I have shared my advice and she takes it pretty well however this last year I thought I would offer to sign her up for a class so she doesn’t just have to hear the same spill from me over and over but rather from someone else.
I think that has been much more effective than me critiquing every cast as we float down the river and now I think she has the confidence in her cast that I knew she needed all along.

She does call the boat our second home and I think where I have been most successful is teaching her how to row!

Now I have the best of both worlds, fishing partner and rower.

Her getting serious as we look to drop the next rapid!
Click the image to open in full size.
She puts down the book and other hobbies once the fishing gets good like I said. Sometimes I think she is a bit smarter than me in that way instead of trying to force something to happen constantly……

IMO there is nothing better than having your BFF share in your love and passion, especially if you spend nearly every weekend on the water and all your vacations are fishing related.

But if it’s not happening and you have to force it, I could only imagine it going South quickly.

Hope the fishing is treating you all well!
Cheers!
Watson
fysh likes this.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
I have heard about alot of guys on here fishing with their wives and im wondering how you convinced them to fish or were they already fisherwomen( is that how you say it?).
Hey Grassonfly,

I’m the husband of a fly fisher. I was a young fly guide when we met, she was a serious white water rafter and back packer. There was no convincing involved, she saw what I was doing and just picked it up.
Our lives, interests and the places we love simply meshed. We’ve been traveling and fly fishing together ever since, this will be our 28th. year together…..

One things for sure, it’s made vacation planning a lot easier….

Thanks, TT

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Well, I can vouch for the idea that teaching your spouse to hit a golf ball or cast a fly is not the optimum plan. Get a professional...I set Beth up with two half day sessions with a guide in WVa while we were on a road trip. She loved it and wants to do more after she retires...

I was lurking where she couldn't see me taking pics. Here she is hooked up on my 3 wt.

She landed several browns and bows about like this

She's drifted some rivers with me, spin fishing...but I cannot wait to hook her up with a steelhead on the fly.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
My wife loves to get out and fly fish, not to the addictive state of mind I do but a healthy amount.

She picks up a book, hikes around or lies in the sun when the fishing isn’t so great but enjoys getting on the river regardless.
I think I have taught her well in that area “It’s not so much about the fishing it’s about getting out and enjoying nature” and when I put it like that it lowers the pressure and makes it fun.

Over the years I have shared my advice and she takes it pretty well however this last year I thought I would offer to sign her up for a class so she doesn’t just have to hear the same spill from me over and over but rather from someone else.
I think that has been much more effective than me critiquing every cast as we float down the river and now I think she has the confidence in her cast that I knew she needed all along.

She does call the boat our second home and I think where I have been most successful is teaching her how to row!

Now I have the best of both worlds, fishing partner and rower.

Her getting serious as we look to drop the next rapid!
She puts down the book and other hobbies once the fishing gets good like I said. Sometimes I think she is a bit smarter than me in that way instead of trying to force something to happen constantly……

IMO there is nothing better than having your BFF share in your love and passion, especially if you spend nearly every weekend on the water and all your vacations are fishing related.

But if it’s not happening and you have to force it, I could only imagine it going South quickly.

Hope the fishing is treating you all well!
Cheers!
Watson
Watson: The first two photos look like you are floating the Green River below Flaming Gorge, is that correct? You are very lucky to have your BFF enjoy fly fishing and rowing. I'd like to teach my girlfriend to row, but first I want her to really learn to love fly fishing!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like a gal on the oars.
Mrs fysh has taken up sessions a couple times a week with a personal trainer, she told the trainer that she wants to build up her arms and shoulders so she can row more this Summer.

YIPPEE!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys with the gals on the oars shoulda been there when I taught Nancy how to handle a raft in swift water with all sorts of things to get sucked into. At first she didn't listen (figured how hard could this be) but soon accepted advice from the ardster. Now she can handle about anyplace we float.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Of course, you could've married the lady in the middle, Joan Wulff, or the lady on the right, Miramichi guide Renate Bullock, and you would've been outfished, outcast, and outlasted likely every day of the week, so count your blessings (I do). Seriously, two more delightful persons probly don't exist. Equals maybe, more, doubtful!
P.S. I've been dying to post this pic of me and them!!
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
mojo and Guest1 like this.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Gary said "you would've been outfished, outcast, and outlasted likely every day of the week" I can take the mrs on the casting, but.......

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL, must come under the heading of "park your ego at the river?" When you're as lousy a fisherman as I am, its easy to do.
Gary