The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fishing with your significant other

Yup! I'll admit it.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

After a 50 year hiatus, it was my wife, Marty, who actually got me back into fly fishing.

She came home one day from the gym and said that her friend Nancy thought we should take up fly fishing, since it's something that we could do together. Nancy was s fly fisher and fished often with her husband.

She's been my regular fishing buddy since she started and I re-started; freshwater or salt, and, yes, I do get out-fished by her...............on occasion..........

Here's a pic Steelheading on the Salmon River near Pulaski,, NY last November.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono
Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
After a 50 year hiatus, it was my wife, Marty, who actually got me back into fly fishing.

She came home one day from the gym and said that her friend Nancy thought we should take up fly fishing, since it's something that we could do together. Nancy was s fly fisher and fished often with her husband.

She's been my regular fishing buddy since she started and I re-started; freshwater or salt, and, yes, I do get out-fished by her...............on occasion..........

Here's a pic Steelheading on the Salmon River near Pulaski,, NY last November.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono
So I'm guessing her "One" is next on the build list?.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
So I'm guessing her "One" is next on the build list?.

Heh, heh.................

You might be pretty close there; although she likes the green rods from Twin Bridges better..............

Pocono
Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Watson: The first two photos look like you are floating the Green River below Flaming Gorge, is that correct? You are very lucky to have your BFF enjoy fly fishing and rowing. I'd like to teach my girlfriend to row, but first I want her to really learn to love fly fishing!
Mcnerney,
Yep that's the Green.... We are a little limited on our options here along the Wasatch Front, but needless to say between the Green and the Snake there are a lot of sections and overall a lot of river to float.

My only suggestion to help bring interest to fly fishing (men, women, friends or child) is kinda like I said before just lower the pressure. Help her by keeping the interest in all the other beauties of fly fishing, getting out in nature, wildlife, the brisk mornings and evening sunsets, talking about and sharing the love and passion along with overall spending time with you listening to the river.

Whatever it is that you love about fly fishing is most likely what she is going to love about fly fishing. When all of this comes together it just simply makes it more enjoyable!

IMO too many people get caught up in "Slaying the fish" or never taking the time to look up and see the beauty that surrounds you. If you are all about slaying the fish and are not satisfied with anything less then she may feel the same and from what I know it doesn't always work out that way. Therefore the fun is gone...or you could just be a fair weather fisherman and then, well thatís different you pick and choose your daysÖ.

Rarely do I fish somewhere that does not have some extremely beautiful features ( I would hope that is the case for most) therefore it makes it easy to slow down, sit back and take it all in once in a while.

Women dig that from my experience, now I know that there are those who are all gungho about fishing just as you and I are also, but from my experience many of them are there mainly to spend time with you and then they simply start to find all this out on their own.

Getting out and doing all these things imo is what it is all about, catching fish is the added bonus.

My wife doesnít fish nearly as much as I do, I donít know somewhere around 40-50 days a year (and many of those days it may only be for a couple of hours especially this time of year) but thatís why I have another fishing partner. That way when me and him go out we can go at it a bit harder from sun up to sundown only stopping to high five, snap shots of wildlife, sunrises, sunsets and of each other with a big grin and a bend in the rod. Donít get me wrong I enjoy picking on the fish as much as the next guy but if you fish year round regardless of the weather or time of year you simply learn to enjoy all the bounties Mother Nature has to offer. I am reminded of this every year come around DecemberÖ..

Well I guess I like rowing and putting friends on fish (about) as much as I like to fish, I credit that to why she asked me if she could start rowing.

She doesnít want to row the entire river for that matter neither do I, she wants to fish and take in the beauty as much as me.
She has learned to slow the boat down a bit and put me on fish pretty well but I am hoping this is the year she picks up the sticks with a bit more confidence. I know she can run some of the rapids that intimidate her, but the last thing I want to do is push her so itís easy enough to swap her spots for a little roller-coaster ride. It's just a matter of time before she will tell me when itís her turn to drive on one of the more intimidating rapids like red creek or mother in law.

For whatever it is worth I thought I would throw down my 2centsÖ..
Hope you guys are all getting out!
Tight lines,
Watson
Old 01-26-2012, 03:42 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
Mcnerney,
Yep that's the Green.... We are a little limited on our options here along the Wasatch Front, but needless to say between the Green and the Snake there are a lot of sections and overall a lot of river to float.

My only suggestion to help bring interest to fly fishing (men, women, friends or child) is kinda like I said before just lower the pressure. Help her by keeping the interest in all the other beauties of fly fishing, getting out in nature, wildlife, the brisk mornings and evening sunsets, talking about and sharing the love and passion along with overall spending time with you listening to the river.

Whatever it is that you love about fly fishing is most likely what she is going to love about fly fishing. When all of this comes together it just simply makes it more enjoyable!

IMO too many people get caught up in "Slaying the fish" or never taking the time to look up and see the beauty that surrounds you. If you are all about slaying the fish and are not satisfied with anything less then she may feel the same and from what I know it doesn't always work out that way. Therefore the fun is gone...or you could just be a fair weather fisherman and then, well thatís different you pick and choose your daysÖ.

Rarely do I fish somewhere that does not have some extremely beautiful features ( I would hope that is the case for most) therefore it makes it easy to slow down, sit back and take it all in once in a while.

Women dig that from my experience, now I know that there are those who are all gungho about fishing just as you and I are also, but from my experience many of them are there mainly to spend time with you and then they simply start to find all this out on their own.

Getting out and doing all these things imo is what it is all about, catching fish is the added bonus.

My wife doesnít fish nearly as much as I do, I donít know somewhere around 40-50 days a year (and many of those days it may only be for a couple of hours especially this time of year) but thatís why I have another fishing partner. That way when me and him go out we can go at it a bit harder from sun up to sundown only stopping to high five, snap shots of wildlife, sunrises, sunsets and of each other with a big grin and a bend in the rod. Donít get me wrong I enjoy picking on the fish as much as the next guy but if you fish year round regardless of the weather or time of year you simply learn to enjoy all the bounties Mother Nature has to offer. I am reminded of this every year come around DecemberÖ..

Well I guess I like rowing and putting friends on fish (about) as much as I like to fish, I credit that to why she asked me if she could start rowing.

She doesnít want to row the entire river for that matter neither do I, she wants to fish and take in the beauty as much as me.
She has learned to slow the boat down a bit and put me on fish pretty well but I am hoping this is the year she picks up the sticks with a bit more confidence. I know she can run some of the rapids that intimidate her, but the last thing I want to do is push her so itís easy enough to swap her spots for a little roller-coaster ride. It's just a matter of time before she will tell me when itís her turn to drive on one of the more intimidating rapids like red creek or mother in law.

For whatever it is worth I thought I would throw down my 2centsÖ..
Hope you guys are all getting out!
Tight lines,
Watson
Are you by chance a guide because you definitively have the outlook of one.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Of course, you could've married the lady in the middle, Joan Wulff, or the lady on the right, Miramichi guide Renate Bullock, and you would've been outfished, outcast, and outlasted likely every day of the week, so count your blessings (I do). Seriously, two more delightful persons probly don't exist. Equals maybe, more, doubtful!
P.S. I've been dying to post this pic of me and them!!
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Gary: Very cool photo!!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:18 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Thanks, it was a fun couple days. Her (that would be Joan) husband, Ted Rogowski (who used to do much of Lee Wulff's filming and photography), was around too, making a film about the Miramichi.
Gary
Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
Are you by chance a guide because you definitively have the outlook of one.
Nope, I just guide family and friends for nothing but smiles.........
grassonfly likes this.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM

kayakfisher7 is on a distinguished road

My wife and I both love to fish and we are now learning about fly fishing. In fact she loves to fish so much that when we are bait fishing I have to literally drag her out of the water when we have a limit. She doesn't want to quit.

I was fishing when we met 26 years ago and she just got more and more interested over time as I put a pole in her hands often and she hooked up.

Thanks to this site and our great country to fish in we plan to become avid fly fishers and have a really big motorcycle fishing trip to look forward to.

Steve