The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   one fly (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/231772-one-fly.html)

grassonfly 01-24-2012 08:09 PM

one fly

Suppose you are stuck on an island and could have one fly fish for the rest of your life. There are trout streams in the middle of the island and all sorts of bass lakes and saltwater stuff everywhere.This one fly will be indestructible. What fly would you choose and in what colors. For me it would be a heavy weighted size 1 clouser minnow in olive and white

jk 8 01-24-2012 08:19 PM

Re: one fly

Cant decide between a #6 black woolly bugger, or a #12 hares ear nymph. both super versatile but for different situations. I may have to say the bugger just because it might be more versatile than the nymph, especially for the bass and saltwater fish, and it would catch the bigger trout. Maybe a #8 bugger, best of both worlds kinda.

fredaevans 01-24-2012 08:20 PM

Easy call: Wooly Bugger:teef:

caseywise 01-24-2012 08:22 PM

we had this same thread a while back and i'll still say a #10 black wooly bugger.

casey

mikel 01-24-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 384927)
Easy call: Wooly Bugger:teef:

I'd say the same, Fred, if it weren't for the salt water. I'd go for a clouser too, chart/white, but not 1 oz...too flipping heavy for me...something I could throw on a nice 6 wt for both trout and in the salt...

Do I get a companion on the island or what?

-Mike

grassonfly 01-24-2012 08:31 PM

ill put megan fox, kim kardashian and jessica biel on the island and a good dog.
To me nothing beats a clouser. Not a 1oz clouser but something thats drops. If it swims a clouser can catch it.

maccadon3000 01-24-2012 08:38 PM

My favorite fly is a Chartreusse size 10 "Lil' Bugger". Seriously, do yourself a favor and tie a few. The best fly I've ever fished and it works excellent on literally ANY freshwater fish in ANY fishing condition.

Recipe:
Hook TMC 5262 sz 10
Thread Chartreusse
Tail : Chartreusse rabbit fur
Body : palmered chartreusse ostrich hearl
Bead head

Put on a bead head. Cut off the fur from the rabbit strip and tie it at the top of the bend if the hook. Take a couple strands of ostrich hearl and Palmer them forward and tie them off at the bead head. That's it! Easy peasy and it is the best fly I have ever used. Tough, great motion in the water and most importantly works. You can tie it in any color, but I like Chartreusse the best.

jk 8 01-24-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grassonfly (Post 384934)
ill put megan fox, kim kardashian and jessica biel on the island and a good dog.
To me nothing beats a clouser. Not a 1oz clouser but something thats drops. If it swims a clouser can catch it.

Throw in good beer and some mountains and Im there tomorrow

williamhj 01-24-2012 08:46 PM

For survival, an 8 beadhead black bugger. If it's for fun than a size 12 stimulator or humpy

grassonfly 01-24-2012 08:47 PM

hahaha id rather have a life times supply on cheeseits than beer. things are addicting. I have never had any luck with chartreuse flies. The lakes a fish are gin clear and only life like imitations catch fish.