The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Do you carry a survival kit?
Yes 21 40.38%
No 31 59.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do you carry a survival kit?

The thread about lanyards, vests or chest packs got me to wondering. How many people carry a survival kit when they are out fishing. I do almost all of my fishing a lone so I always take a survival kit. It has a space blanket, flint, tinder, first aid kit, a signal mirror, extra batteries for a GPS, a snare line, a small pocket knife in addition to my Ka-Bar and of course TP.

So do you carry a survival kit??
Old 01-25-2012, 09:51 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you carry a survival kit?

All of the above plus a survival bracelet I made out of climbing ropre (about 15 ft of chord), a couple single wet wipe packets, and a Spot Connect which syncs with the iPhone.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I voted no, because generally, I really don't. When I'm dayhiking/bushwhacking a little I carry a 1st aid kit, lighter and matches and dry clothes. And always 2 liters of h2o.

I'm really interested to see what others carry...good poll.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

The only reason I dont is because most of my fishing is not done in any remote areas. If I did any fishing in areas farther than a mile or two from any roads, I would without a doubt. As of now, all I carry is a lighter, just in case something happens I can at least build a fire, but thats all I would most likely ever need in the areas I fish.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I went yes because in the boat I keep enough stuff to cope with whatever. When I park at skinny water and hike up stream I stuff the most important items into a small pack and take it. Relying on a cell phone will not work because we still have many areas where there is no coverage. The boat items include fire starter; MSR Wisperlight, A small Sig bottle filled with Kero for wet fire starts, a roll of toilet paper to use as a wick with the kero, Granola bars (a whole bunch of em) MRE or De Hydrated meals, machete, etc, etc. Of course I also have the Coast Guard box O goodies as well, air horn, sky flares and etc. If I don't wander too far from the mother ship it all stays stowed on board.

In the pack I travel light but if I'm bush fishing the machete is important as is the fire starter.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I voted no because the last few years, most of the fishing I have done is so close to my home I can walk back.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:13 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

having been a boyscout years ago, I sadly say I dont, atleast not to the capacity that I know I should. I do carry enough food and water to last me alot longer then I plan to fish, And my pack is small enough as it is, I have wondered about getting my concealed carry license to carry and small pistol for what ever may happen. I do carry one of those ridiculosly loud whistles attached to my vest also. I may revise my pack and make a small kit soon. good thread
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I try to carry a small kit with a poncho, cord, knife compass and firestarter in my backpack just in case. Enough to make shelter and fire if I have to spend the night.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

No, because I carry everything in my day pack and vest to survive for a bit. And If I go alone I make sure someone knows my destination. I'm thinking about adding a Cold Steel fixed blade to my load. One time I was fishing alone and a couple of big dogs showed up. Looked like they were sizing me up but eventually moved. Got me thinking.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:00 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

I carry a survival kit and my Ruger Alaskan.
ghocevar likes this.