The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default 1 man boat options

Hey guys I need some help I have a 15ft Jon boat that use for most of my big lake fishing. I fish a lot of ponds and small lakes that don't have boat ramps. So I'm looking for a small boat that I can fish from. It needs to be something I can load on my SUV by myself. I have looked at a lot of one Man pontoons but i dont really know of there is a better option or not.Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 man boat options

Collin: Welcome to the forum! You might look at the NFO frameless pontoons (Renegade or Rampage). I have the Rampage, it folds up and fits in trunk of my Camry, the 12v electric pump has it inflated in less than 5 minutes and at under 40 lbs it is easy to pickup and get it on the water. They are on the spendy side, but very well built boats. I have the upgraded oars on my boat and it is amazing how fast you can row that rig. North Fork Outdoors
With a roof rack on the SUV you might also consider a Kayak, there are several models out that you can fly fish from.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I am just starting on the boating, but here is what I have learned.

Got a Creek Company Sport for about $200.
I expected the workmanship to be poor at that price, but it is actually very sturdy and well built.
The pontoon is not great in the wind on a big body of water (ie hug the shore!).
I still have not taken the pontoon on a 'float' trip, looking forwards to trying it out on some easy stuff.

I also borrowed a 'sit on top' Kayak to try out. It is built to stand up on, but after capsizing it sitting down, I did not try it out. The kayak was fast in the water, much better against wind. But fishing from the kayak kind of sucked. I ended up using it as transportation between fishing spots. An anchor would have helped.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

Colin,
I have a kevlar canoe that I use for small lakes and ponds. It's 17 ft and weighs only 50 pounds. I have it set up with a clamp-on rowing device that includes pontoons that can be extended out for a total span of 6 ft. This makes a stable fishing platform and allows me to stand and fish without worrying about tipping the canoe over. I've used it now for about 18 years without a misshap. Just another possibility for your consideration.
Cheers,
Bob
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Sounds to me like you're looking for an 8' pram. Simple craft, very stable. Most weigh like 60 lbs and fit in the bed of a pickup. You can buy new, used or build your own. Wood, glass, aluminum are all available with varying costs and weights. A 10 footer will accommodate 2 persons...

If interested google "fly fish pram" and you will get a zillion choices.

There are also smaller inflatable rafts that you can stand and fish from. I have a Sea Eagle, myself, but there are many brands. Again, a google search will give you lots of stuff to look at.

Just 2 other alternatives to think about...-Mike
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road

I apreciate all the help you have given me some ideas I guess I should mention that I am looking on the low end of spending money. These ponds tend together a little windy so I'm also looking for something I can attach an anchor to as well. Once again any and all help is apreciated.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I second the North Fork Outdoors pontoons. I had a Renegade and really, really liked it. I now have the Assault, and LOVE it! Both store easily in or on top of any SUV or pickup. Both are very light weight. Both are extremely convenient. Both have anchor brackets available. The side bags that come with them are very roomy and double as rod-holders. They row easily, and can be controlled with fins. Rivers, lakes, ponds, pick your poison.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Renegade, or Assault. I am female, thin side, not real strong. I drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara.
I can lay the back seat down, inflate the seat area of either of these, fold the sides in and get it in the back with a fully size marine battery and a 45lb thrust motor, plus all my other gear and still have the passanger seat available, but I can load it easily by myself....28lbs.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have float tubes but seldom use them since I got my canoe. Mine is also a 17 footer. I've learned to cast while seated. It was inexpensive and is great for smaller/shallow water. Canoes are also at the mercy of the wind since their draft is very shallow. I installed pullies at both ends of mine and some short pieces of tubing to guide the ropes and grabber clamps so I can anchor both ends from the single paddler position.
I used to tell everyone that my Coleman was indestructable short of wrapping it around a bridge piling, but I've since found out that 10 or 15 years of dragging it by one end over parking lots etc will eventually wear holes in the plastic!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

I like the pram idea, but a very worthy alternative would be a cheap 10' aluminum jonboat. Tracker, Lowe, and others (probably all the same manufacturer) have a price on them at $499. Perfect for one person, and seriously-indestructable. I used to launch mine off a 50-foot gravel bank by loading it up and then giving it a push. When coming in for the day, I'd drag it up over the bank with the winch on my truck. After a few years of this, the rivits started leaking, but I sprayed the inside with bedliner, which took care of that and made it a little quieter also.