Question for the float tube guys

greenfish4

Reaction score
I had a question for the float tube guys (hopefully I posted in the right section) I have never owned a float tube before but I am interested in getting my first one, I am trying to decide what boat would best suit my needs. I mostly fish the eastern sierras Crowley, convict, Virginia, twin lakes.

I am trying to decide between getting a small super portable u tube type, or a nice pontoon style float tube. I am curious how important it is to have a casting deck you can stand on with a pontoon style (like a scadden x5) I love the idea of it but don't know how often people actually stand and sight fish?

Thanks in advance for your help guys :)
Love the forum, stoked that I stumbled across it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to the forum,

Soon some of the members will spot your question and the replies will come. We have a lot of people using various types of tubes and rafts and they will come through for you. I don't have any experience with these, my boats are framed pontoon rafts and aluminum river boat types. Keep an eye peeled and they'll find the post.

In the mean time, here's a link to a thread with some info: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...-comparing-nfo-watermaster-inflatables-2.html

If you look across the menu strip at the top of this page you'll see the option to Search. Type the name of what you are considering into the drop down box and hit 'Go', this will turn up all threads which contain the key words of your search. Hope that gets you started,

Ard

iciclecreek

Reaction score
Sorry to steal this thread, but I also had a qeustion if anyone can answer.

Do you use lung power or a pump to blow up your float tube when hiking?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I've got a float tube. I don't have a problem casting from it. The only real problem with them is that you have about half of you in the water. If it's really cold you would be better off with a pontoon type. If you get one that has a stand up platform you will be able to cast farther, but keep in mind, it's not like wading where you can't move closer. The cost of a pontoon you can stand up on will buy you a fleet of tubes. Then there is also the how long are you planning to fish (Comfort) and how much stuff are you thinking about dragging along? I'm thinking about the pontoon myself for just these reasons.

iciclecreek was posting at the same time so I edited for him. Pump. 12 volt plugs into the lighter in the car.

mikel

Reaction score
I fish all the waters you have listed from a Fish Cat 4 tube. It's not elegant, but it's safe and reliable...like 5 or 6 yrs so far with no issues. There are both cheaper and pricier tubes and there are many folk happy with many different tubes. It's how much are you willing to pay and what do you require?

Pontoon boats move faster and keep you out of the water more, but get blown by the wind a little more too. They are a little more effort to set up and weigh significantly more. Many have a wheel to help with transport to the water's edge. You can also put a trolling motor on many for even easier/longer movement.

There are also prams, rafts, kayaks (hard sided or inflatable) canoes and probably other crafts to consider.

Will you ever want to hike and carry your craft into the backcountry? If so there are also some very lightweight tubes out there. I put my fish cat on my back at age 63 and walk up to 3 miles with it to get to some waters. I don't go further than 3 mi on a day trip. Ugh

There's a lot for you to consider, but most depends on how YOU WANT TO FISH and how much dinero you're willing to part with...at least, that's my 2 cents. :)

greenfish4

Reaction score
I fish all the waters you have listed from a Fish Cat 4 tube. It's not elegant, but it's safe and reliable...like 5 or 6 yrs so far with no issues. There are both cheaper and pricier tubes and there are many folk happy with many different tubes. It's how much are you willing to pay and what do you require?

Pontoon boats move faster and keep you out of the water more, but get blown by the wind a little more too. They are a little more effort to set up and weigh significantly more. Many have a wheel to help with transport to the water's edge. You can also put a trolling motor on many for even easier/longer movement.

There are also prams, rafts, kayaks (hard sided or inflatable) canoes and probably other crafts to consider.

Will you ever want to hike and carry your craft into the backcountry? If so there are also some very lightweight tubes out there. I put my fish cat on my back at age 63 and walk up to 3 miles with it to get to some waters. I don't go further than 3 mi on a day trip. Ugh

There's a lot for you to consider, but most depends on how YOU WANT TO FISH and how much dinero you're willing to part with...at least, that's my 2 cents. :)
LOL, so much to consider. I have a fifth wheel that I take up to bridgeport now so i don't bring my inflatable (too much weight) I have never done the float tube thing so I am a total noob at what it might be like out there.

I am definitely gonna get a small light cheapy for getting into the upper Virginia lakes and a few other spots. I would love to be able to fish the bigger lakes somewhat easily though. Would be a lot of kicking to get were your going on Bridgeport or Crowley. I wonder how stable they are when you stand on a dave scadden x5? I would rather not spend the money but I would prefer to get the right boat the first time.

I think a good plan for me is to get a decent small one and then go to troutfitter and try and rent a stand up boat.

mikel

Reaction score
I think a good plan for me is to get a decent small one and then go to troutfitter and try and rent a stand up boat.
The Troutfitter in Mammoth Lakes? If that's what you mean, you can rent a FC 4 like mine there as well, just to get a feel for the tube thing. I think they MIGHT rent some of the better tubes too, but not certain. Trying before you buy makes a lot of sense to me....

I drive to where I want to be on Crowley and then launch my tube...don't fish Bport res or Topaz...at least so far...

greenfish4

Reaction score
The Troutfitter in Mammoth Lakes? If that's what you mean, you can rent a FC 4 like mine there as well, just to get a feel for the tube thing. I think they MIGHT rent some of the better tubes too, but not certain. Trying before you buy makes a lot of sense to me....

I drive to where I want to be on Crowley and then launch my tube...don't fish Bport res or Topaz...at least so far...
I have never done well on Bport, but I have seen some HUGE fish there when I stayed at paradise shores. I go up there for the east walker and twin more than anything. Think I might spend some time focusing on Crowley and convict this year (hence the float tube fixation) I called Troutfitter and they said they only rent the smaller creek company tubes. I talked to her about trying to get a stand up for demo, she was stoked on the idea it sounded like. Anyway I have a few months to think about it. I guess I am just having withdrawals LOL.

araitim

Reaction score
i reciently got the NFO Bladderless Skykomish Sunrise H20 Pontoon and think it is great. iv spent about a total of 8 hours in it sofar. it has the stand up platform so i dont think it would work well for hikeing.

mojo

Reaction score
How old are you?
How's the legs?
How much are you going to use it?
How much do you want to spend?
I've had float tubes from the old donuts, to the U-boat, to the Fat Cat design to the NFO (Scadden) H3 and NFO Escape. Truck innertube, vinyl bladder, urethane, to bladderless.
Most tubes now days are made in China so that's that.
You'll be sitting in the water, or will have water coming into your lap with every tube but NFO's Escape.
Most of today's tubes have vinyl bladders, and a few more expensive ones have urethane, with NFO's being bladderless.
Kickboats, the same. 90% are made in China. Very few have the standing platforms, with again, NFO having the most models. I have a X5 and Outlaw XX- both bladderless, both the new design in kickboats. I've owned Leigh, Outcast, Buck's Bags and Scadden boats. I'll never go back to a 2 pontoon framed boat ever again. The uni track style is much more stable than a two pontoon type and the frameless models are much lighter too. As an X5 owner, I do use the standing platform a little, but not that much. It has it's place.

I had a Renegade, and sold it for the Outlaw XX. I can stand on that, but again, that has it's time and place. The X5 can be set up with my 5 hp Nissan or electric trolling motor, and the XX is the same way.

greenfish4

Reaction score
How old are you?
How's the legs?
How much are you going to use it?
How much do you want to spend?
I've had float tubes from the old donuts, to the U-boat, to the Fat Cat design to the NFO (Scadden) H3 and NFO Escape. Truck innertube, vinyl bladder, urethane, to bladderless.
Most tubes now days are made in China so that's that.
You'll be sitting in the water, or will have water coming into your lap with every tube but NFO's Escape.
Most of today's tubes have vinyl bladders, and a few more expensive ones have urethane, with NFO's being bladderless.
Kickboats, the same. 90% are made in China. Very few have the standing platforms, with again, NFO having the most models. I have a X5 and Outlaw XX- both bladderless, both the new design in kickboats. I've owned Leigh, Outcast, Buck's Bags and Scadden boats. I'll never go back to a 2 pontoon framed boat ever again. The uni track style is much more stable than a two pontoon type and the frameless models are much lighter too. As an X5 owner, I do use the standing platform a little, but not that much. It has it's place.

I had a Renegade, and sold it for the Outlaw XX. I can stand on that, but again, that has it's time and place. The X5 can be set up with my 5 hp Nissan or electric trolling motor, and the XX is the same way.
I am 30 years old and in pretty decent shape, I HOPE to use it a ton (don't tell my wife) legs are fine. I am sure I will enjoy whatever I end up getting, but I love the idea of getting the right thing the first time. So if I understand correctly you would recommend something like the x5 more because of the configuration of the tubes? I think for the eastern sierra's it would be pretty cool to have a trolling motor set up (that wind can get GOING)

Like I said I am a complete noob when it comes to stillwater fly fishing but I am completely hooked on fly fishing in general so it is logical that I will enjoy the stillwater stuff. I think i would enjoy being up out of the water as well, I have found the more comfortable you are the longer you end enjoying it.

Just a quick edit, I took a good look at your boat on the NFO site. It is amazing, I could possibly get the wife out there with me sometimes hmmmm... Its all a lot to think about. definitely do like the look of the pontoon style and getting up out of the water.

Last edited:

cimarron

Reaction score
Another thing to consider, due to the fact you are much closer to the water in a U-tube, is your back cast catching the water behind you. This drove me crazy for a while until I was shown to cast my back cast slightly upward. I also got me a 9.5 foot rod to give me a bit more up on my line. I carry my tube a lot so I opted for the smaller U-tube Caddis. Does all I want it to do, just remember to check your air-valve before going too far! And don't scrimp on flippers! Get the best you can afford.

greenfish4

Reaction score
I have so much to learn about still water it's crazy, I will keep that in mind about the back cast. Seems like it is going to be a bit to get used to at first, but I would be missing out on a whole different side of the sport if I don't start soon.

It's also gonna be strange because most of the fly fishing I've been doing has been nymphing with just short little roll casts. I can't remember the last time I had to cast more than 30'.

mojo

Reaction score
30' on stillwater will work too. Floating or sinking lines. But it's not hard to throw 60' and more.

ghost_reaper

Reaction score
I'm not going to hijack this thread, but I to have been looking into this for a while and I want to say thank you to all of the members for their valuable input.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have so much to learn about still water it's crazy, I will keep that in mind about the back cast. Seems like it is going to be a bit to get used to at first, but I would be missing out on a whole different side of the sport if I don't start soon.

It's also gonna be strange because most of the fly fishing I've been doing has been nymphing with just short little roll casts. I can't remember the last time I had to cast more than 30'.
Greenfish4: While your deciding on a boat you might also want to get a copy of Denny Rickard's book "Stillwater Presentation", it is an excellent book on stillwater fishing. www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fish Stillwaters

greenfish4

Reaction score
Greenfish4: While your deciding on a boat you might also want to get a copy of Denny Rickard's book "Stillwater Presentation", it is an excellent book on stillwater fishing. www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fish Stillwaters
Thanks mcnermy, I will defiantly check it out. That is exactly the kinda book I am looking for. I got a couple of movies on Stillwater and chronomids at the end of last year, can't remember the exact title though. Been so hooked on watching all the gonzo type movies ( fish bum, the source, stuff like that) that I have almost forgotten the instructional ones.

mikel

Reaction score
another book to check out is Mike Croft's Lake Fly Fishing manifesto. The illustrations are a hoot and the info is very good. I read it about once per year, although he suggests keeping it on the back of the toilet for daily study. :)

Also...Mojo is right about 30' casts. That's generally plenty.

-Mike

greenfish4

Reaction score
another book to check out is Mike Croft's Lake Fly Fishing manifesto. The illustrations are a hoot and the info is very good. I read it about once per year, although he suggests keeping it on the back of the toilet for daily study. :)

Also...Mojo is right about 30' casts. That's generally plenty.

-Mike
Its funny how I always thought distance was so important, if last year taught me anything it was that its more important to be accurate and smooth than long. Miss it by a foot or two and you won't get that nymph down into the slot at all.

tbblom

Reaction score
I have a small pontoon; super cozy sitting in the 'recliner' while fishing. The foot rests are key.
Edit: my 35lb. dog fits on my pontoon with me, which I love.

But, I still want a tube. There are times when I think It would be better or easier to deal with. ie. you can control the tube using flippers, which enables fishing at the same time.
With the pontoon, you are either rowing, or fishing. Kind of tough to do both short of a good rod holder. I need an anchor for the fishing part.

If you have the $$$, mojo's stand up version looks awesome for sight fishing.

We borrowed a kayak for my girlfriend. She was running laps around me in my pontoon. Something to consider if it gets windy where you want to go (Sierra eastside, never!!!). The pontoon has a lot of surface area to be grabbed by the wind. I imagine that Convict and Bridgeport can turn to whitecaps in no time with a bit of wind.

Last edited: