The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   3WT Rods need help! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/232358-3wt-rods-need-help.html)

lbz_2006 01-26-2012 01:27 PM

3WT Rods need help!

So ive been searching the web for three weights so far two stick out to me. First is the greys streamflex xf2 or whatever it is haha and it would be 10 feet. Or i just found a sage z-axis 9' three weight foe 440. The greys is 309 just wondering if the sage is 131 dollars more of a rod the greys.

Thanks nick!

s fontinalis 01-26-2012 02:00 PM

Re: 3WT Rods need help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbz_2006 (Post 385858)
So ive been searching the web for three weights so far two stick out to me. First is the greys streamflex xf2 or whatever it is haha and it would be 10 feet. Or i just found a sage z-axis 9' three weight foe 440. The greys is 309 just wondering if the sage is 131 dollars more of a rod the greys.

Thanks nick!

I just bought a new 3 wt. An Allen Xa, I havent fished it yet, so i cant comment personally on the rod action etc. However. There have been a few excellent reviews of other Xa models on this forum. You might consider a less expensive rod and save yourself a few bucks to invest in a reel line etc.

I also have no experience on the other rods.

Depending on the type of fishing you're going to be doing, you might also consider a shorter 3wt. If you're small creek fishing, 7'6 or even 8' might be much better suited.

lbz_2006 01-26-2012 02:05 PM

Ya it will be mostly used on smaller streams but also on lakes and rivers when my five weights are just not workin so id like it to be nine feet but i love longer rods idk i have a 14 ul spinning rod and love it haha! But thanks for the ideas i just wish i had a shop around here where i could test the rods out

s fontinalis 01-26-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbz_2006 (Post 385898)
Ya it will be mostly used on smaller streams but also on lakes and rivers when my five weights are just not workin so id like it to be nine feet but i love longer rods idk i have a 14 ul spinning rod and love it haha! But thanks for the ideas i just wish i had a shop around here where i could test the rods out

Where are you based? Try to get yourself to a fly fishing show this spring....you will see lots of rods and dealers.

lbz_2006 01-26-2012 02:30 PM

Stevens point, WI

s fontinalis 01-26-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbz_2006 (Post 385904)
Stevens point, WI

here is a list of sports shows (fishing and/or hunting) for WI

Most of the them have links to websites. Find one close to you and hit it up. Luckily its just the start of show season, co hopefully you'll be able to get out to one close by

wannafish 01-26-2012 05:15 PM

If I had the $ I'd go for the Z-Axis for sure! They're not making them anymore so the unused ones are gonna get scarce and I think they are pretty awesome rods. (should be able to get better resale $ out of the Sage as well)

swirlchaser 01-26-2012 05:56 PM

What is going to be your main style of fishing? The Grey's is 10' because it's designed as a Czech nymphing rod. This is basically high sticking with a European twist. If you fish that style the added length helps.

iciclecreek 01-26-2012 05:56 PM

Sorry for the short response, but I would go with the z axis. Also 10 foot is to long for me for a 3wt. You really want to hasle with a 10 foot 3wt on a small stream haha atleast not in my neck of the woods

swirlchaser 01-26-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iciclecreek (Post 385994)
...Also 10 foot is to long for me for a 3wt. You really want to hasle with a 10 foot 3wt on a small stream haha atleast not in my neck of the woods

It's more for highsticking than casting.