The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM

lbz_2006 is on a distinguished road
Default 3WT Rods need help!

So ive been searching the web for three weights so far two stick out to me. First is the greys streamflex xf2 or whatever it is haha and it would be 10 feet. Or i just found a sage z-axis 9' three weight foe 440. The greys is 309 just wondering if the sage is 131 dollars more of a rod the greys.

Thanks nick!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: 3WT Rods need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbz_2006 View Post
So ive been searching the web for three weights so far two stick out to me. First is the greys streamflex xf2 or whatever it is haha and it would be 10 feet. Or i just found a sage z-axis 9' three weight foe 440. The greys is 309 just wondering if the sage is 131 dollars more of a rod the greys.

Thanks nick!

I just bought a new 3 wt. An Allen Xa, I havent fished it yet, so i cant comment personally on the rod action etc. However. There have been a few excellent reviews of other Xa models on this forum. You might consider a less expensive rod and save yourself a few bucks to invest in a reel line etc.

I also have no experience on the other rods.

Depending on the type of fishing you're going to be doing, you might also consider a shorter 3wt. If you're small creek fishing, 7'6 or even 8' might be much better suited.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 PM

Ya it will be mostly used on smaller streams but also on lakes and rivers when my five weights are just not workin so id like it to be nine feet but i love longer rods idk i have a 14 ul spinning rod and love it haha! But thanks for the ideas i just wish i had a shop around here where i could test the rods out
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Ya it will be mostly used on smaller streams but also on lakes and rivers when my five weights are just not workin so id like it to be nine feet but i love longer rods idk i have a 14 ul spinning rod and love it haha! But thanks for the ideas i just wish i had a shop around here where i could test the rods out
Where are you based? Try to get yourself to a fly fishing show this spring....you will see lots of rods and dealers.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Stevens point, WI
Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Stevens point, WI
here is a list of sports shows (fishing and/or hunting) for WI

Most of the them have links to websites. Find one close to you and hit it up. Luckily its just the start of show season, co hopefully you'll be able to get out to one close by

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

If I had the $ I'd go for the Z-Axis for sure! They're not making them anymore so the unused ones are gonna get scarce and I think they are pretty awesome rods. (should be able to get better resale $ out of the Sage as well)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

What is going to be your main style of fishing? The Grey's is 10' because it's designed as a Czech nymphing rod. This is basically high sticking with a European twist. If you fish that style the added length helps.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

Sorry for the short response, but I would go with the z axis. Also 10 foot is to long for me for a 3wt. You really want to hasle with a 10 foot 3wt on a small stream haha atleast not in my neck of the woods
Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclecreek View Post
...Also 10 foot is to long for me for a 3wt. You really want to hasle with a 10 foot 3wt on a small stream haha atleast not in my neck of the woods
It's more for highsticking than casting.