The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Did You Start

My maternal grandfather fly fished, but didn't drive. My father was an "outdoorsman" and had a car but didn't fish. I guess they got together as a bonding thing. When I came along, they started taking me too
Granddad died when I was young and dad never did become the greatest fisherman, so while I was introduced to fly fishing at an early age, I as much learned on my own as was taught.
I learned to cast by watching others. When I was young it was Ted Williams at the old Boston Sportsman's Show. I learned my flies by studing cataloges from LLBean and Orvis and learned to tie from an old book of my grandfather's and again by watching people at shows. Eric Leiser, Dick Talleur and others .
Mostly I learned by fishing a lot. Nothing beats the experence of time on the water
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fishing as long as I can remember. Mostly a bait and lure guy but about 7 years ago I was fishing with a buddy who is a saltwater guide. We were livelineing bunker for Stripped Bass when I looked up on his T-top and saw two fly rods from his previous charter. "You catch Stripers with those things???". He took one down and dropped a fly behind my bait, when he hooked up we switched rods. I bought my first flyrod that day and now I'm flyrodding 90% of the time.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

When I was a kid, I fished for stocked rainbows in the Sierra foothills. My dad absolutely hates fishing, so that didn't last long. One of those summers was the first time I saw a guy fly fishing. He was getting his limit of stockers every day, I was impressed.

Backpacking in college, we met a group that was staying out for 3 weeks. Their plan being to eat lots of fish to supplement their dry foods. Very intrigued.

Fast forward a few more years years. I had a roommate who fly fished. If we stopped in the canyon for 20 minutes he would catch a couple. I was intrigued by the casting and the beauty of the scenery. He let me borrow his rod and reel for a road trip. I got skunked, but I loved wading and looking for fish and being in the river in general.

Jump ahead about another 6 years. My favorite hobby, rock climbing, was beginning to take a toll on my body. I needed something fun to do outside that did not involve hauling my 200lbs up a rock. I got a $50 starter kit and just started trying to cast. It was three weeks before I caught anything Little did I know that Spring flood was not a good time, oh well, I was having fun.

My drive home every day was along Boulder creek, so I would fish for a few hours almost every day (still do if possible!) I was having a blast, but I was only getting good at fishing Boulder creek.

Last summer I had foot surgery, and rock climbing took a major back seat in my life. Fly fishing became an obsession to be reckoned with.
I started tying my own flies, traveling to heavily pressured waters to try my 'skill' or lack thereof, and started catching some much larger trout.

I quickly learned how little I really knew on those famous waters . So I started reading and doing internet searches, and ended up here. This forum has helped me severely steepen my learning curve in the last few months.

I now own a 'quiver' of rods (5,5,6,7,10,11), although some have yet to see a fish. Given enough time I am sure they will. Thanks again NAFFF for providing a space to share tying ideas, debate, ethics, and advice. Extra thanks to those that are very experienced and willing to help teach some of us who lack proper mentors!

For my relative lack of experience, I make a lot of posts... I hope this is ok, I try to add a disclaimer every now and then to own my lack of experience. I just love talking about fly fishing though and learning everything I can. When time permits, I get out almost every day for a few hours. I think 180 days a year is a very lowball estimate at this point (my girlfriend says I fish EVERY day).

The best advice I have been given is to "remember to have a good time, even when you are getting skunked" ie. any day on the river is a good day.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I guess my start in flyfishing was in large part due to the fishing regulations requiring atlantic salmon be fished only with a fly. That's the reason my father picked up an old bamboo rod and a Hardy St.John reel (the one in my avatar) in the '50s and stepped into the then famous Hartland salmon pool on the Saint John river. The other fishermen called him "Brown Ferry" because that was the only fly he owned and he fished it half the summer catching 16 salmon before the season ended.
A number of years later he had a few fly boxes full of flies and an extra rod or two plus a fishing partner--me