The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 AM

greenfish4 is on a distinguished road
Default question for the eastern Sierra guys

This forum is GREAT, you guys were so helpful with my float tube question i thought I would ask you another

I am relatively new to fly fishing, been going the last two years, but really got interested in it last summer. I primarily fish the eastern sierra's from Crowley/mammoth up to Bridgeport. For the last two years I have grabbed my gear and just bought whatever was working at one of the local fly shops, but this year I would love to start stoking up early on flies and gear. Also it will be the first year I will do the lake thing out of a float tube.

So my question is basically what flies would you guys recommend having on hand anytime you head towards the Sierra's. I know it is a HUGE question, but I am sure there must be some basics that should always be brought along. I sure appreciate all the help, I am so excited I ended up on this forum!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: question for the eastern Sierra guys

Well, I can tell you what I haul, but whether that's the definitive box is another question. Google Mammoth Fly Fishing adventures and get on Harry Blackburn's web page. He has a dandy hatch chart.

I carry:

Dries
parachute adams
coachmen or trudes (brookies love them)
BWO
beetles
hoppers
Griffith's gnat
black gnat
Ants
assorted caddis
stimulators
midge dries

Nymphs
Assorted copper johns
assorted pheasant tails
baetis
micro may
prince (assorted colors)
AP
midges (zebra, RS2, blood)
hares ear

Streamers
Big assortment of buggers
olive matulka
assorted leeches

Nothing too exotic in my box, and I do stop in at the shops to get current local stuff. If you're hitting the EW for sure stop at Ken's.

good luck...hope this helps. -Mike
Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

With mikel's list you could fish a good portion of Colorado too (like most of it), and probably good portions of the midwest. Maybe a few small additions as said from local shops.
Add some stone fly nymphs and some san juan worms and you're set to catch some fish just about anywhere
I've recently gotten stuck trying some of my own patterns; they mostly all work. However, after catching a few on my own one day, I found a nice prince nymph in a tree snag. Tied it on and immediately started catching more fish. Never forget the classics, they became classics for a reason!
greenfish4 likes this.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

TT...lol...I do carry stones and sj worms, but fish them seldom in the E Sierra.

I left out Chironomids for stillwaters...BIG on Crowley and some of the other higher lakes.

uh...and scuds

and caddis nymphs (geez, just get everything your local shop has...)
Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Thank you mikel and tbblom, I appreciate it. I will start working on collecting some of those patterns immediately. I will definitely look up the mammoth blog. I always call JR and bug him about whats working on the EW he is a fantastic resource, I guess I am just not quite confident enough now to really try and bring what I might need.

I am gonna make good use of your list and start from there.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Also, if you buy any type of fly, might as well get 4-6 of them.
You'll be bummed when you snag that one PT or Caddis pup that was working
Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Good list so far, to that I'd make sure to have some natural and some olive Bird's Nest in 12 - 18, both bead head and not. I'd grab a few Sierra Bright Dot's in 14-16 for entertainment purposes, maybe a few Sierra Gnats ( just a Royal Griffith's Gnat w/ an Fl. Fire Orange band ) in #14. Olive Damsel Nymphs in 10 -14. A selection of Wiggle Tails ( Olive, Brown & Black ones ) size 10.

...and lest we forget a few Sheeps Creeks or Stove Pipes.

Good Luck, TT

greenfish4 likes this.

Last edited by trout trekker; 01-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:49 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Great list, these are the areas I fish also. Guess I better start tying some of the patterns on the list that aren't in my fly box.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM

This forum is AWESOME, i have no idea were I could get this kind of comprehensive list anywhere else. I am actually gonna print out the list and put it on my cork board. LOL i never print anything, much less put it on the cork board but it is too valuable to have to search for. Spring comes quicker than I expect every year and this year I wanna be ready.

Thank you all SOO much, you all are a huge help.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Well, I can tell you what I haul, but whether that's the definitive box is another question. Google Mammoth Fly Fishing adventures and get on Harry Blackburn's web page. He has a dandy hatch chart.

I carry:

Dries
parachute adams
coachmen or trudes (brookies love them)
BWO
beetles
hoppers
Griffith's gnat
black gnat
Ants
assorted caddis
stimulators
midge dries

Nymphs
Assorted copper johns
assorted pheasant tails
baetis
micro may
prince (assorted colors)
AP
midges (zebra, RS2, blood)
hares ear

Streamers
Big assortment of buggers
olive matulka
assorted leeches

Nothing too exotic in my box, and I do stop in at the shops to get current local stuff. If you're hitting the EW for sure stop at Ken's.

good luck...hope this helps. -Mike
I feel stupid for asking, but what sizes would you recomend? I went to the fly shop today and realized I was missing a crucial piece of information.