The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:28 AM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for a new 5/6 wt?

I am looking to get a new 5 or 6 wt with a fast enough action to throw some streamers. I don't want to spend more than $300 because I won't be using this rod as much. More of a winter rod for those little fishing trips. I want to get it before I go to bozeman MT to ski. this will be for mostly trout.

Anyone fished with a TFO or Redington?

Thanks for the help,
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for a new 5/6 wt?

My go to 4 piece rod the Lefty Krech TiCrX 9' 6wt. a fast/med rod, execellent
rod for the money. Light 3.8oz. with execellent factory warrenty.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I have Albright A5-NS 9' 5wt i bought last summer. Nice light rod, but powerful. I love how it casts. Currently on sale too. Its a 5 piece also, so convenient for travel. This does not take away from the quality or strength of the rod in my opinion.

I've thrown beadheads and bead chain eye flies (up to size 2)with this rod with no problems on casts up to about 35 feet. Depending on the size of streamers you plan to use, I'd say this rod is pretty well suited for streamers size 2 and smaller.

It has been my go to rod, until i picked up an Allen 3 wt, so now the 5 wt is for bigger trout streams/river, and the 3 wt for small creeks etc.

Here is the Albright Warranty Information.

Hope this helps

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I have an Albright GP 5/6. It was very affordable, and kinda classy looking with the wood grain.
I have caught some tailwater whoppers up to 20" on it. Very soft tip, the power is in the butt. Chucks streamers decently, but I can't get the timing down to shoot very far with it (as compared with my other 5wt, a fast Cabelas traditional II).
It excels most with nymph rigs, indy rigs, and dry dropper setups for me. Still soft enough to lay down a #24 adams though if need be.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I have a medium-fast Allen Xa that can fling even ugly articulated streamers well, so certainly you don't have to go all the way to a fast action to get them out there. Depending on the length you want, it's going to run you $230-240 MSRP. The warranty on Allen products is incredible (I've unfortunately had the distinction of testing it twice, both times my fault). I can't complain when I send a claim late Wednesday night and get the replacement by the following Monday

Personally, I love my 10' 6wt Xa for its versatility, so as a go-to tripping rod, I'd suggest it.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Speaking only from a "deal" perspective, I have been looking at getting this Cabelas setup in an 8wt. For the $$ how can you go wrong??

Cabela's: Cabela's RLS Fly Outfits
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Speaking only from a "deal" perspective, I have been looking at getting this Cabelas setup in an 8wt. For the $$ how can you go wrong??

Cabela's: Cabela's RLS Fly Outfits
Cabelas offers a TFO Professional/RLS Reel combo with SA GPX line for 280, I have the 4wt. Rod is great as always and the reel has been good, stopped a surprise 20" smallie that I caught while bluegill fishing relatively well, and has a nice look.

I recommend TFO to everyone. I know theyre not American made, which is the one downside, but for the price, you really cant beat their rods.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have fished with Redingtons and really like them. I only own one at the moment but i am planning on getting another. Great rod for the price.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

How about a Fenwick for 75 bucks ?

Factory Outlet [Rods]
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road

I have a 9ft 6wt redington with sinking line on it and I through #4 wollybugars with weighted eyes. That rod throughs like a dream my cast are not always pretty but it gets it out there.i bought it on sale from cabelas for 40 bucks.