The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Good Fun with Forum Members....

Many of you know that I am a lost soul when it comes to fly fishing-- as the nearest cold water environs are 3 hours from home. I have been conceded to a life of targeting the warm water gluttons....

Well, that changed for me this weekend. My neighbor and I made a Trip south to one of the 'Blue Ribbon" (not entirely sure what that means... ) trout waters in Missouri.

To sweeten the deal a little, fellow forum member russellb showed up with some local/ insider info. Big thanks to Russell-- if it wasn't for his generosity with the margarita machine and M-80's and Half sticks of dynamite-- I doubt we would have had nearly the fun, nor caught nearly the amount of fish that we did....

(disclaimer: there was no margaritas nor was there explosives to 'persuade' the fish out of their feeding lanes.)

Now for the trophy of the day-- of course caught by me:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good Fun with Forum Members....

you must have really BIG HANDS to make that lunker seem so tiny

fun report...thx
Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

beautiful fish
Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great news T,

I have been of the impression the Russel is a swell guy and your post lends to my belief that you are both very cool

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Which stream did you fish? Crane creek? Capps?

Blue Ribbon means the trout population is self sustaining and they dont stock it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Yes Ard, Russell is a very cool guy. He was a little up in the air about his schedule, and wasn't sure he could make it to meet up with us. He txt'd me about 20 mins before my phone lost reception with a message of 'good luck' and that he had some things come up... He later txt'd that he could be there in about an hour-- I didn't get the txt. So it was a very nice surprise when he did show up.

Being a warm water guy, I had a steep learning curve about drifting a nymph without an indicator-- the first several hours were slow fishing wise (due to my inexperience with the situation)-- but the conversation made up for the slow fishing.

After I figured out that my mend had to be almost immediate after the line landed, and after casting directly up stream and watching how my bug was acting as it came back to me-- I could translate that into casting to the feeding lanes and I did much better. I missed a handful, but the takes at the end of the drift were definite and I ended up with 7 fish plus the lunker from the picture.

you cold water guys sure do tie some tiny flies and really have to be cognizant of what your fly/ line is doing... I normally cast to Bass-- they will take a styrofoam cup from the local quick shop-- presentation be damned!

All in all, it was a very nice time-- I learnt a lot about line control-- and tying smaller patterns-- The fish really liked size 18 zebra midges-- I hope to be able to spend more time chasing these beautiful fish in the fantastic environs that they occupy.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey dog!I had not seen a report of yours for a whileNow I understand you were waiting to show us a record fishAlways good to fish with a friend
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Raindog, you should get out to Colorado sometime, only a state and a half away. Camping is cheap and easy in the summer, especially if you have a truck and find some forest land.
I can think of 8 trout rivers within 1 hour drive of Boulder, add a few hours and you get the Blue, the Colorado, Roaring fork, N. and S. Platte, Frying pan, Taylor, Gunnison... the list goes on. There are the alpine lakes filled with cuttties too, and they seem to eat anything.
If you come out here give me a shout and I can point you in the right direction and give some fly advice or at least where to find good advice.
Cheers, TB
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I had a great time as well and it was nice to meet some fellow forum members! We need to make the next trip to one of my favorite rivers such as the North Fork, or white bass-a-palooza here in a couple months. Better yet, if the spring rains treat us right we could fish trout on the upper stretch of the North Fork or striper on the lower parts. Bring a 5 weight and a 9 weight.....
Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Hey T-Dog, long time no see; glad to see you post something...Nice shot of your trophy... The tiny trout flies are a Big change from your typical Bass patterns...

Dan