The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 PM

greenfish4 is on a distinguished road
Default How important is a reel?

I hope I am posting this in the right part of the forum. Last year I got a 5 wt Redington pursuit combo at my local fly shop and had intended to replace it, but I ended up really liking the rod and am thinking of sticking with it for another year.

My question is how important is a reel in a setup of that size for general nymphing and Stillwater fishing? I don't have any strong opinion on the reel, it is ok I guess. I am wondering if a much better reel would help me out?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice
Default Re: How important is a reel?

What sort of stillwater fishing? For carp or pike or muskie, the reel matters as your using your drag quite a bit, but for basic trout fishing, your reel generally doesnt serve any other purpose than to hold your line and look good.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

It depends alot on the fish. If you need a really good drag to fight big fish it is very important ,if you are bring all your fish in without putting them on the reel it is just a place to store your line.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the equipment that catches the fish, it's the skill of the angler.
That's why we do it.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM

greenfish4 is on a distinguished road

That is just about what I thought. The local store I buy my stuff at was trying to sell me a new reel, but it just didn't make sense why I would need for the size of fish I am catching. I usually just palm the reel and leave the drag set to were I need it for casting.

Just wanted to get some opinions on if I was missing out on something super sweet though.
as always I sure appreciate the feedback, you all are a great resource.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

There is a type of fly fishing called tenkara. i think it originated somewhere in Asia. This is were there is no reel and only fly line tied to the end of the rod.

I have always wanted to go fishing small streams with no reel in the summer time. just as a ultra light tactic and for the fun.

I really like the feeling of stripping in line as the fish pulls back and the line glides through your hand...until the reel catches it. The sound of a click and pawk reel is just as good. I am babaling...

It all depends what kind of fishing you are doing. The qaulity of a reel is much less important that the way you present your fly. don't worry about the reel, just have fun with practicing your presintation.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish4 View Post
That is just about what I thought. The local store I buy my stuff at was trying to sell me a new reel, but it just didn't make sense why I would need for the size of fish I am catching. I usually just palm the reel and leave the drag set to were I need it for casting.
It's amazing how 'simple' a reel (and inexpensive) a reel you need (the comment about a place to store your line is on the mark) almost 'regardless' of the size of a fresh water fish.

Think about the millions and millions of Pflug. Medalists that have been sold over the past 50-60 years. Things, then and now, are just about bullet proof in their simplicity.

Minor side bar: Read something a couple of days back that suggested these are now out of production???????

Update: Maybe not; no reference to them on the Corporate Web site. http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products/index.php
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

On a scale of 1-10, about a 2.

I've caught lots of carp on a simple click and pawl reel. Even on my disc drag reels I often turn the drag down and prefer to palm the reel.

For general trout fishing, I think anything over about $60 is a waste of money, but that's just me.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

alright i'll play
i look at buying a fly reel kinda like buying a watch. does one need an 800 dollar rolex to tell you the time of day? for the most part no.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

To some a reel is just a thing to hold line.
So if you get a cheap reel, make sure that it balances a rod. Swing weight baby.

To some, the reel is part of your personality.
Form and function.

You want a Rolex, buy one, you want a Timex, buy one.

But for stillwater fishing, one with a good smooth drag will be more benificial then one with no drag or a **** drag.