The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ausablebrown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM

fire8702 is on a distinguished road
Default Michigan Flies

I was hoping to get some suggestions on which flies to get. I am in Michigan and will be mostly fishing for trout, and steelhead. What kind and average size are used for wets, dries and nymphs? I know that it varies by the time of the year, but what are some of the most popular ones? Thanks for the help!
Bryan
Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Michigan Flies

Welcome to the forum! There are qutie a few experienced Michigan anglers that frequent this forum that would be glad to help you out. As to your question; this varies quite a bit depending on many circumstances...perhaps a little more detail about one specific water and time period would help us help you. You will always need to be aware of the "hatch de jour" when you are picking flies for a trout outing, as the matching fly pattern will be ESSENTIAL to your success when there is a hatch happening. When you are not fishing a hatch there are quite a few trusty patterns that work well most anywhere. For dries I like the Adams parachute, and for brookies especially I always have a couple "Patriots" and stimulators with me. Wooly buggers in white olive and black are always trout food. If you are needing some good generic nymphs I always fall back on the hares ear and prince nymphs.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Your question on flies is a bit wide. As AuSable said you need to focus a little more on the time of year you're going to be fishing. Get a copy of an Emergence Chart for the general time frame for the different insects throughout the year. For more detailed information on a specific streams insect life check with the experts, the local fly shop, they'll be able to help with the timing.

For Steelhead, you can get by with egg patterns in assorted colors, stonefly nymph patterns in a variety of sizes; 8 thru 12, and caddis larvae patterns, 8 thru 12. If you're into swinging flies there are all sorts of patterns available to you to tye or buy.

Dan
Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM

fire8702 is on a distinguished road

I knew my question was kind of broad when I asked. There are so many patterns it is easy to get lost. I am going to fish mostly the West side from the Rogue in GR, the PM to the Manistee and others when I venture further North and North East. I am just trying to put a good starter collection together and am having a rough time figuring out where to start. Most of my fishing will be done in the summer and a little in the fall if time permits. Just unsure on type and average sizes.
Bryan
Old 02-02-2012, 02:02 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire8702 View Post
I knew my question was kind of broad when I asked. There are so many patterns it is easy to get lost. I am going to fish mostly the West side from the Rogue in GR, the PM to the Manistee and others when I venture further North and North East. I am just trying to put a good starter collection together and am having a rough time figuring out where to start. Most of my fishing will be done in the summer and a little in the fall if time permits. Just unsure on type and average sizes.
Bryan
I don't have much experience with the western Michigan waters; I have only been to the PM one time. I spend most of my Michigan time on the Ausable, and have made a couple of trips up to the UP for brook trout fishing. More generally speaking it takes quite a long time to build up a good stock of trout flies (also quite a few HUNDRED dollars), but don't get discouraged, you don't have to have EVERYTHING you might need to go fishing. What HuronDan suggested is the approach I take most of the time. When I travel to a new place I take what I have without fretting about what I don't have. Stop in a local fly shop and prepare to spend $20-40 on flies to get you through the trip. You don't have to buy everything that they mention (fly shops know how to sell flies and you'll have a box full if you pick up everything they point at). I tie a majority of all of the flies that I use but I still stop in the shops to get advice and I always walk out with a few flies that I "need". If you want to prepare a few days in advance I'm sure you can find river reports for the big rivers like PM, Manistee, and Ausable that will help you get some flies together in the week prior to the trip. Don't be afraid to start a thread on the forum a week or so before you set out; you will get some respones from people who have recently fished there, or have links to reports and hatch charts.
fire8702 likes this.