The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: worst fishing day

I broke two rods in one day.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

My worst day came this summer on a hot and muggy Minnesota afternoon.

I decided to swing by a section of stream way out in the middle of nowhere. I was about 3 miles from the nearest house, 5 from the nearest town. I was gearing up and as I was bending down to strap my wading boots up, my keys fell out of my pocket into my trunk. Now, this wouldn't have normally been a big deal, except for my trunk shut as I took my weight off the rear end of my car. So now, my keys are locked in my trunk and naturally my car doors are all locked. So, I have my fly rod and sling pack on the ground next to me, no cell phone or water, and a choice to make. Fish, or hike to find some help. I chose the hike. Nobody home at the nearest house, and so I hiked to the little gas station for some help. Sat there for two and a half hours waiting for the tow truck. I still frequent that gas station, and the tenant that hung out with me that night still laughs about it. That was, hands down, my worst day "fishing".
Old 02-02-2012, 01:25 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

It's a toss-up for me. It has to either be the day I went for a dunk with all of my gear on, or the day I stepped in a drainage hole at the pond and broke my foot.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

I've been through some crazy weird stuff just to catch fish in my life, but I can't recall a bad day fishing. Ever. I've broken rods myself, and handed them to people to hold, and in turn they've broken them. I've twisted ankles and suffered bruises falling down steep embankments. I've had swarms of insects bite the backs of my hands while playing a drift. I've fallen in and have been swept downriver a half-mile. I've had to rescue a fellow fisherman, who fell in and got caught in fast water. I've been attacked by a raccoon.

All this, and I still would not trade it for one single day of work.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Mosquitos...
Enough to choke on, has so far been the only thing to make me RUN AWAY from a good fishing spot (even with 100% deet applied).

The cold windy fall day I capsized, I had spare clothing. Ended up catching a 19" and 16" bow... So I was damp and cold most of the day, but it ended up being a great day for fishing.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ted, I did something similar to you, except it was at the end of a 20-30 degree hunting day. In my old blazer, my back tailgate would only open with the electronic key, not the push latch. I was getting out of my hunting gear, had stripped down to just my black baselayers, and had just set my boots in the back of the truck. I threw my keys to the front seat, closed the tailgate, and walked to the front of the car to get in and leave... and (at that point) obviously had forgotten to unlock the doors. So here I am, dressed in all black (with no shoes or socks on) walking in the dark from farmstead to farmstead asking to use a phone and hoping I wasn't mistaken for a robber. I ended up sitting and chatting with some maple farmers, and I even came back and bought a bottle of their syrup once the sheriff came around and showed just how quickly they can "break" in to a car, given the right airbag and slim-jim... Needless to say, I'm rather religious about where my keys are and what doors are locked and not locked at this point. Plus in my new truck, you can only lock the back from the outside And now I realize I need to go see them for a new bottle of syrup...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Everything is frozen here and the season doesn't open till April 15th; I haven't fished since the last day of the season Oct.15th last fall; from this perspective I can't imagine there could ever be a bad day fishing
theboz likes this.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Everything is frozen here and the season doesn't open till April 15th; I haven't fished since the last day of the season Oct.15th last fall; from this perspective I can't imagine there could ever be a bad day fishing

You have my vote...

I was about to post my worst day, but after reading yours, I haven't had a bad day.

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Ted, I did something similar to you, except it was at the end of a 20-30 degree hunting day. In my old blazer, my back tailgate would only open with the electronic key, not the push latch. I was getting out of my hunting gear, had stripped down to just my black baselayers, and had just set my boots in the back of the truck. I threw my keys to the front seat, closed the tailgate, and walked to the front of the car to get in and leave... and (at that point) obviously had forgotten to unlock the doors. So here I am, dressed in all black (with no shoes or socks on) walking in the dark from farmstead to farmstead asking to use a phone and hoping I wasn't mistaken for a robber. I ended up sitting and chatting with some maple farmers, and I even came back and bought a bottle of their syrup once the sheriff came around and showed just how quickly they can "break" in to a car, given the right airbag and slim-jim... Needless to say, I'm rather religious about where my keys are and what doors are locked and not locked at this point. Plus in my new truck, you can only lock the back from the outside And now I realize I need to go see them for a new bottle of syrup...

I feel your pain... truly I do. That's a pretty helpless feeling, eh?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

got bit by a hammerhead I caught, fly fishing in the Indian river behind the coast guard station, took a small glass minnow. went to reach down and grab him behind his head and he turn and bit me on the shin. 17 stitches and a shot at local hospital. Only good thing came from it all he is on my wall in my tying room..
wannafish likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..