The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: worst fishing day

I learned how to fly fish specifically to hunt for goldens. After 2-3 years of learning to fly fish up in the high lakes of Colorado and the Winds, I decided it was time to finally target goldens. I shot up to Pyramid Lake in the Winds, a lake that was reported to hold small numbers of very good golden trout. I got there no problem but the scouting conditions were very poor, mostly screaming wind and cold temps. Finally after two days of scouting, I saw two goldens in the 2-3 pound class cruising the outlet. I dropped a scud right in their path. One of them went for right for it, opened its mouth, and at the last second refused the fly. I was devastated - after three years of commitment I would be denied that day. My first golden trout should have been a 3# monster, but it was not to be.

I have caught goldens since but nothing as nice as those bruisers I saw at Pyramid.