The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default worst fishing day

what is your worst fishing day as of yet? Aside from days that you get skunked what has happened. I personally haven't had a bad day other than pulling a clouser out of my butt.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: worst fishing day

Had a day fishing in 12 degree weather (mind you I'm born and raised in Florida) where I couldn't roll cast to save my life, my fingers wouldn't wake up, line to be mended kept snagging on my gloves when it and the guides weren't freezing up, didn't hook any fish, AND to cap it all off I broke my rod because of my own stupidity. But even after all that, it was still a good scouting trip and it was better than a day working most jobs. Funny how that works
lthrnk03 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My worst day was when I was all the way up at the North end of Lake of the Woods and was coming back across Big Traverse Bay when the wind started blowing seriously hard from the South West. In 5 minutes the waves were to big to make speed over. In 15 minutes they were every bit of ten foot and coming from everywhere. I wasn't sure I was going to make it off in one piece. It was a long scary ride. I learned a lesson though. The next time that happens I go through the islands on the Canadian side and stay off the big open water.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Mine for last year:

Mike's Gone Fishin': It Was a **** Day

Sep
Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: worst fishing day

It wasn't the time in mid winter I put my Red Ball bootfoots on over my suit pants to steelhead for a little while on the Pierre Marquette and fell in nor was it the time I walked for about 3 miles in 98 degree heat in those same waders looking for that secret spot some old phart in a restaurant told me about. I was swatting black flies and mosquitos all the way in and back. It was days later when the bacterial infection I caught that day reared its ugly head on both ankles from the chaffing of the boots.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Its amazing how we "contribute" to our own misery! My worst day: Was out of Homer AK. We had lost our charter service the previous year, they sold out and moved south. We had gone with them for 12 years in a row, and I felt like they were family. Oh well, it happens. I made some inquiries and was recommended to a new service, who I'll not name.

We arrived at the correct slip at the right dock to find an apparently empty boat. We stood around for a few minutes until I hollared "anybody on board!". No response. I hollared again, louder. Up from the cabin emerged a staggering, very obviously drunk teen boy. He cussed like nobody I have ever heard, and was proclaiming his "beer-pong" cahmpionship of the night before. He proceeded to tell us that they didn't think we would show because the weather was rough.

He called the captain on his cell phone, and abusingly told him to get his a** to the boat, the clients were there. 15 minutes later the Captain showed up as hung-over as anybody I've ever seen. Right there we should have walked away and called the coast guard....but noooooooooo, we got on boaard and went out to sea. It was rough, but not the worst I've ever been on. However the idiot was not handling the boat right, and the wave action was horrific. Soon three of the six of us were hugging buckets in the cabin. Thanks to crystalized Ginger Root I was fairly ok.

The captain spent the whole trip guzzling bottles of water, peeing over the side of the boat, and kicking his teenaged beer-pong champion mate awake. He refused to make the run to the good holes because he just wasn't up to it. So we stayed close and caught 10 pounders (two 10's do not fill a cooler with Halibut filets). He cut the trip short by 2 hours because he was so sick.

I complained long and loudly to the owners, but no appology or refund was offered. Their only reply....."sh*t happens".

Lesson learned.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I went out one time on the hottest day of the year, pretty much just to stand in the water.
Passed out from the heat/dehydration... what ever. Scared the **** out of me
I don't know how I made it back to my car or drove home.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Walking the beach at the North Bar in Montauk coming around a corner and seeing hundreds of dead striped bass laying in a drift net. These were the fish the drift netters had to leave due to size restrictions. I had to leave scene was disturbing. That was in the 70s when this kind of netting was legal. Thankfully it was banned several years later but the scene from that day is forever etched in my mind. That was definitely my worst fishing day ever. Note : stripers made a great comeback after this ban.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

For me, this HAS to be the day a couple of years ago, where I was headed out to kayak-fish for some smallmouths and maybe the occasional walleye. I swung past my office to pick-up my "lucky hat", that I had accidently left there. My bosses boss (the Agency Director) snagged me (WTF was HE doing there at 0615), and I wound-up working all day....

BTW - I shredded that "lucky hat".....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ouch, I HATE those days you think you're going fishing and get forced to work...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...