The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 PM

bigjoexd is on a distinguished road
Default Need some advice...

Hey Ya'll BigJoeXD here, I'm new to these forums but not to fishing in general wanted to say Hi and thanks in advance for any info, suggestions, or opinions. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong location but here it goes anyway.

As the heading says I'm looking for advice on new gear. I have an old scientific angler's 9' 6 wt. rod at home but the area I live is not really good for fly fishing so it hasn't been used in some time. When I pulled it out of its case the other day I saw the guides were coming off and the were some other signs of age.

However I just recently moved to a new area for graduate school that puts me just south of the Adirondacks, in a much better area for fly fishing than I used to live in so I decided to get new gear for spring, but I'm on a budget of around $300, a little over won't hurt me but I'd like to get everything I need with this, rod, reel, line, and possibly a case. I already own waders, flies, vest, etc.

The advice I need is on the gear I am looking at: I'd like a 4 piece, 9 foot, 6 weight rod, reel and line.

Cabela's has a few rod/reel/line combos available that I like;

TFO Professional II w/ Cabela's Presige Premier Reel
St. Croix Imperial w/ Cabela's Presige Plus Reel
St. Croix Avid w/ Cabela's Prestige Premier Reel

or there is the Orvis Clearwater Combo.

All are within my price range but I would like to know what ya'll think. I was leaning towards picking up the TFO alone and getting an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock or an GLoomis Venture 5 b/c I question the Cabela's reel based on their reviews they recieved. But that would increase my price alot, getting the combo saves me 69.99 on fly line. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ya'll!! Oh and sorry for such a long post.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need some advice...

By "just south of the ADK's", I'll presume that you are in the Greater Capital District or surrounding area. Call or swing by Goldstock's in Glenville (outside of Schenectady). They have some VERY experienced fly-fishing folks working that fishing department, who, I'm sure, can point you in the right direction. Taylor & Vadney in Rotterdam, NY, is equally good, but just a little further south.

Welcome to the forum, welcome to the Great State of New York (my employer, so I have to say nice things), and maybe we will meet-up on a stream somewhere!

BTW - What grad-school? The Prez of Capital District Fly Fishermen works at RPI....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-01-2012, 02:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's the combo but orvis is running a sale on the clearwater rod, though it is only a 2 piece
http://www.orvisnews.com/Weekly%20Deals.aspx

I have a few prestige plus reels and they work fine for my 4 & 5 wts, though maybe heavier than more expensive ones. A nice thing about paying a bit more for a reel is having a company stand behind it down the road.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

And you are close enough to the Orvis "mothership" in Manchester, VT that it's worth the drive over there. They often have products, and can offer sales that aren't advertised widely. I bought a Clearwater II set-up (previous version of Clearwater) on Black Friday 2011 that the Orvis internet ordering system told me was out of stock, and they had at least 3 or 4 of them there when I left the store with mine!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

BigjoeCan't say anything about the combos you're talking about....but I tested the Redington Crosswater combo from a friend...for around $150 Ithink it's a very good deal
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM

bigjoexd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys and the welcome.

I'm attending Union Graduate College and live in Schenectady at the moment. I'll definately have to check out those shops you mentioned. I haven't had too much time on my hands to explore the area as much as I would like to but my schedule is going to free up after this week. I've been trying to find a fire department to join, places to fish, hunt, skeet shoot, etc lol just haven't got around to it yet.

I'm leaning towards the TFO combo from Cabela's at the moment but i'll wait to check out and talk to the guys at the shops mentioned.

Thanks again, keep em comin' if anyone else has any words of wisdom lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joe,

I'm with JP in that I'm not familiar with the gear you're shopping but posted to say, welcome to the forum. You'll find answers and maybe even a fishing buddy here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
BigjoeCan't say anything about the combos you're talking about....but I tested the Redington Crosswater combo from a friend...for around $150 Ithink it's a very good deal
I'll second that opinion of the Redington outfits; even the cheapest reels they sell are tougher'n a pine knot. There's a utube video of a Crosswater reel being thrown down the street HARD, bouncing and rolling like crazy but came through unscathed; I can't (and won't) do that with my Hardys!