The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By gatortransplant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default First fish on a fly

My 14 year old nephew came to visit me in San Francisco. I took he and my sis to Golden Gate park and brought along a rod so the kid could try some casting at the ponds. He determinedly cast for an hour! I couldn't believe his patience/age ratio.

So now I am visiting him in his sleepy central coast college (home)town. There is a creek 2 blocks from his house. It is chock full of trout. Lots of little babies, but I saw some 12 inchers in there. Closed to fishing all year - I wanted to cry.

I did some research and found water about 15 minutes away by car that is open for steelhead in winter (only Sat, Sun, Wed and holidays. Barbless, Artificial, Bag limit=0). Not enough rain yet for a good steelhead run, but since the creek by his house is a tributary I figured there would be a lot of little hungry rainbows - great for a first time fly experience.

I scouted and found some nice pools with good free space for casting and lots of little fish then bought him a steelhead report card. We went yesterday evening for the last hour of daylight and fished 'til dark. We hooked up numerous times and landed 4 apiece. He had a great time! I think I got him hooked. He also landed the biggest fish at around 8-9".

Maybe to add to this thread you could share a first fish on a fly story.

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First fish on a fly

What a great story, good to see you teaching your nephew to fish!

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

This isn't his first fish, but here is a photo of my 4 yr old grandson Wyatt, he loves to fish!
Noiso likes this.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's pretty cool and I do hope he gets into this, it's a great learning tool for young people.

My first............ I have no picture and am not sure whether it was a chub or a sunfish. I remember having an afternoon up on a small lake where I caught a bunch of small fish the first time I tried this. Had I known that if I went up the creek that feed the lake it was full of brook trout I would only have gotten tangled in the brush so it's just as well sunnie's and chub in the clear.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great stories all! While I'm in no rush at the moment to have kids, I can't wait to teach children how to fish! Luckily I have time, since I have to learn how to fish first, hah!
grassonfly likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My first was when I was 7
My family was camped on the shore of Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Rangeley Maine. On the way north my father had filled my head with the fly fishing history of the area, home to famous fly dressers like Carrie Stevens and Herb Welsh. I knew that if I was going to catch a fish on a fly, this was the place to do it.
My mother was knitting a wool sweater so I absconded with a short length of yarn and carefully wound and knotted it onto a bait hook.
I remember then sneaking around the backside of the tent, grabbing my father's rod (a POS Conolon) and making my way down to the lakeshore before anyone saw me.
I knotted my "fly'' on and began flailing the water.
I don't know how it happened, I should have scared every creature for miles, but I soon caught a fish. A rainbow smelt

Funny how you remember these things
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

A good friend of mine has been trying to get me into Trout Fishing since college (well over 10 years now) and finally after talking with my uncle that is a big Steelhead guy for the past few years I picked up a cheap combo from Cabelas.

I went to the West side of Wisconsin for a fishing trip with a buddy with the assumption that I won't catch a darn thing since I have only casted a few times.

When we got to our destination my friend grabbed my rod to try it out. First cast fish on.

My second cast fish on:

I have been hooked ever since. That day I went on to catch well over 20 fish, the best being a 11-inch brown. The next day we caught at least 15 a piece. It was a trip of a lifetime for me. The best part was it's only 3 hours from my house.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough

My first fish on the fly was a bluegil in a local mountain lake. My first trout was on a family vacation in Cherokee NC in the Smokey Mtn.'s. I have a pic but its not on the computer.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

good deal. my first was a fat bullgill, once you start theres no stopping, hope he continues