The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default New rod options

Hey guys I need some help. I wana get a new rod on the lower end of price range. I have 2 6 weight rods one with sinking line one with floating line. I live by st. Louis in IL so I fish for bass and panfish, but I try and go to some of the trout parks in mo as much as I can. With that said for trout I fish a lot of dead drift with an indicator.i do a little dry fly not a lot of room at the trout parks. So I don't know if I should go with a 4 wt or something smaller and what length will be best. For warm water fish i through a lot of streamers and top water. Thanks for all help and suggestions.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New rod options

I had a topwater 4wt from albright fly fishing that I liked. Right now they're a touch under $80. They are 7'6" bit if you're not fishing much overhead branches etc you don't need one that short. I liked it for small streams.

Otherwise, depending on your price point, cabelas or bass pro combos could get ya what you need including reel and line.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have enough room to utilize a nine foot rod? When indobobbifloticating, one usually doesn't need to do a whole lot of overhead casts. Simple roll casts will do the job. If you have that room, by all means, get a nine foot four weight (maybe ten?). If room is tight, drop down to an eight footer or smaller.

Dennis
Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
indobobbifloticating
you, my friend, are fall out of my chair funny!!!
lollollollol!!!

ARFE
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM

colin272 is on a distinguished road

I have a 6 wt 9 ft reddington that I love I was more concerned with the wts of the rods if there is some big advantage to going with a 3wt vs a 4wt thanks for the help
Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

In the wind a 4 weight will handle better than a 3 weight.

Mr. P.'s Blog