The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Updated: No Generation...Pics

Just checked and no water releases for the entire day. Two hours until sunrise and I feel like a kid with a new puppy. Gonna hit my brookie hole first and then it's streamer fishing for the browns, I know, should be doing it just the opposite but the brooks here tend to like a early meal. Besides I miss those little buggers. Their hole is only available to me during the winter because in the summer the poison ivy is waist high and as thick as a walmart shoppers butt. May not catch a single fish and who cares, because for the first time in 3 months I am fly fishing.

The water was really down Had my new camera out for its initial break-in. (Lumix TS3) It was nice finally having everything needed to photograph my fish without doing them any harm. Still have some tweaking to get the exposure figured out, but that will come with practice.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was primarily on the hunt for brookies and landed about 7 I think. Interesting, last winter when just learning to fly fish I was landing perhaps one of every 5 or 6 strikes. But yesterday the odds were about even, proving the old adage "The more I practice, the luckier I get).

Met a couple of college students fishing upstream of me, we exchanged pleasantries, got out our fly boxes and made comparisons. (Good young men) They made mention of coming back that night to fish for the browns and invited me as well. They shared a dorm room and explained how they had made space to put in a fly tying station, they were headed back to study and tie more streamers for the night fishing and would meet me at 8:00 pm. Having never night fished before, all I can say is it was a hoot and am looking forward to many more nights. Out of the 3 of us I ended up being the only one with a brown landed. Gotta work out how to photograph a fish in the net where it doesn't look so small, as this brown was 15" long. Already planning a trip to the Norfork with them and gave them each a nice patch of deer hair. (Thanks Larry )

Dave
mikel and grassonfly like this.

Last edited by littledavid123; 02-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No Generation

Enjoy, Sir!!! It's not until April 1 that the Great State of Confusion (NY) allows us to hit the streams....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Enjoy, Sir!!! It's not until April 1 that the Great State of Confusion (NY) allows us to hit the streams....
You might want to check around. Here in CNY we have quite a few streams that are year-round.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Good luck!
we've got knee deep snow, and the local tailwater just went from 90cfs to 7cfs... (thanks for nearly killing the fish Denver water!).
Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: Good luck with the Brookies and Browns, hope you have a great day on the water.

Larry

Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures coming soon...lol

Dave
Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 PM

lkjlkjhlkjhlkhj
Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Just an FYI...poison ivy vines are not "dormant" during the non-leafy season. They vines still emit the dermitological irritant that causes the rash known as "poison ivy". Don't get too friendly with the vines while you are out there.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Default Updated Original Post...Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Just an FYI...poison ivy vines are not "dormant" during the non-leafy season. They vines still emit the dermitological irritant that causes the rash known as "poison ivy". Don't get too friendly with the vines while you are out there.
Good point Ausablebrown, here after the first freeze all of the vines sprouting up from the ground die and fall to the ground.

Updated my original post with pics and stories...

PS: Thanks for the help Ard.

Dave
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM

hadash11 is on a distinguished road

Hey Dave thank you for referring me to this site. I really enjoyed fishing with you last night. And even though you caught the only brown Blake and I caught alot of rainbows lol. I look forward to our future fishing adventures!!