The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 AM

tractman is on a distinguished road
Default TFC Fly Lines

Do any of you guys use the TFC Floating lines from the Full Creel. I read that you are better off spending more for a good line than a expensive rod or reel. Most of the name brands are in the 45-55 dollar range but I see the TFC lines at $24.95....I like to support the forum vendors but ????

Tractman
Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TFC Fly Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractman View Post
Do any of you guys use the TFC Floating lines from the Full Creel. I read that you are better off spending more for a good line than a expensive rod or reel. Most of the name brands are in the 45-55 dollar range but I see the TFC lines at $24.95....I like to support the forum vendors but ????

Tractman
No i do not... but try one and if it suits what you fish for and it suits you then use it...if it does not work you have only lost 25 bucks

For me, a saltwater gear head,(and yes a snob but with the right look, you always look like you know what you are doing even if you don't and that look on the flats gets a higher quality of shared information....it is like study table for required finite math you don't want or you don't share with the D+ guy... i would not appear on a guide boat or wading where old salts could observe ...with either oriental rod, reel or cheap line...
The line and rod are the most imortant...I use Rio Cortland and trying new airflo ridge tropical...these lines last at least five and i have an cortland 444 tropic plus that's 5 plus years old but one must take care of the line.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tractman,

I have never used the line and it may be super but that is not the case with most cheap lines. The Full Creel also sells Cortland lines and you would be much better off buying one of them. I think it is great that you are supporting The Full Creel. If it was me I would buy the Cortland. Fresh water lines last a long time if you take care of them. The extra cost spread out over several years is well worth it.

For your information. The bright blue you used in this post is hard on my tired old eyes. Just thought you might want to know.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:51 PM

Sorry Frank, I will tone it down for you..................HOw is that ???

Thanks for your imput as well.

Tractman
Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractman View Post
Sorry Frank, I will tone it down for you..................HOw is that ???

Thanks for your imput as well.

Tractman
Thanks Tractman, much appreciated.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

The TFC lines are actually pretty good lines. These are the same fly lines that are presently sold by many different companies under their brand name. These lines are made in China and sold to any company around the world with their own private label. While the Chinese do a very good job duplicating American made items, I'm sure they're not quite as good as a Cortland or any other high end brand named fly line. However, most fly line companies have their line made in China anyway. I suppose you get what you pay for... but at $24.95 it aint bad.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:18 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Bones View Post
The TFC lines are actually pretty good lines. These are the same fly lines that are presently sold by many different companies under their brand name. These lines are made in China and sold to any company around the world with their own private label. While the Chinese do a very good job duplicating American made items, I'm sure they're not quite as good as a Cortland or any other high end brand named fly line. However, most fly line companies have their line made in China anyway. I suppose you get what you pay for... but at $24.95 it aint bad.
Bones:
Are you raining on my parade...my cortland 444 tropic plus is chinese...my Rio Permit is Chinese...and my Airflo Ridge Tropical is chinese?? you meam I paid 60 bucks for the label...??
Old 08-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

tractman,
I own the TFC 3wt & 8wt fly lines. I personally believe they are as good as any brand name fly lines. You got to remember that most any of the brand name fly lines available on the market are coated with teflon which provides the slickness of the line to flow through the fly rod guides. Consider a good fly line cleaner/silcon to reduce friction from the fly rod guides even more. The TFC fly lines are also teflon coated and just as good as any. You can get them at the NAFFF Fly Shop.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 PM

Thanks for all the help guys....IF anyone else has a thought feel free to post...

Tractman
Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
Bones:
Are you raining on my parade...my cortland 444 tropic plus is chinese...my Rio Permit is Chinese...and my Airflo Ridge Tropical is chinese?? you meam I paid 60 bucks for the label...??

Good question... You probably got what you paid for. In Cortland's and Airflo's upper end lines... even though they're made in China, they are fabricated according to the importers specifications. However, while the Chinese promises that the importer's design patent is safe, its is very difficult to police. Once they know how to produce a high quality fly line... they duplicate it and maybe make a small design change in order to call it their own. Then they sell that same line to distributors, and fly shops willing to buy in large quantities, for $3.50 per fly line.

Exporters around the world have expanded the playing field and has blurred the boundaries. It now becomes somewhat difficult to know exactly what you're getting.