The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Took a fly tying class today (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/235942-took-fly-tying-class-today.html)

lthrnk03 02-04-2012 02:36 PM

Took a fly tying class today

A month ago when I bought my Orvis Fly Tying kit, I signed up for their free 2 hours tying class. Today was the class. It was fly tying 101. We tied some up a couple of Wooley Buggers. I've been tying for about a month now so I already knew how to tie the buggers. A lot of the things that were taught I already knew. Though I did pick up a couple good tips. The best tip that I picked up was using a half hitch knot when transitioning from materials. If you happen to break your thread the half hitch will keep everything from coming loose and unraveling on you. The class was a good experience, met some nice folks, but definitely a 101 class.

fire instructor 02-04-2012 03:04 PM

Re: Took a fly tying class today

It's amazing the little things that you pick-up watching and learning from more experienced tiers. I started to teach myself, but in just two classes with a local fly fishing club, I've learned a TREMENDOUS amount from them. Supplement that with the SBS's and tie-alongs here, the ongoing forum threads, Charlie Craven's book, Skip Morris's book, and any number of YouTube video's, and WHO KNOWS??? I MAY actually catch a FISH with a fly that I tied this season!!! ;)

s fontinalis 02-04-2012 03:11 PM

agree with the fire instructor. Keep looking at videos, SBS, books, forums, etc. And ask in the orvis store if there are other more advanced classes too
Or join a fishing club if there is one near by.
I"m still learning and i've been at it 20 odd years

darwin 02-04-2012 05:12 PM

Go to youTube and search for David Cammiss for beginner level, Davie McPhail and Oliver Edwards for general learning and advanced techniques. Lots of other good people have videos there. ;)
Charlie Craven has 2 good books and tons of free SBS's on his website.

Liphookedau 02-04-2012 07:18 PM

As per what Darwin has said check out U-Tube as you will learn more from watching Davie McPhail Tie Flies than reading all the Books,even though I have about 150 -200 + on Flyting/Fishing I mainly use them for patterns.
Brian.

lthrnk03 02-04-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwin (Post 390929)
Go to youTube and search for David Cammiss for beginner level, Davie McPhail and Oliver Edwards for general learning and advanced techniques. Lots of other good people have videos there. ;)
Charlie Craven has 2 good books and tons of free SBS's on his website.

I found Dave McPhails YouTube page about a week ago. It was a huge help when I was having some trouble tying a Hares Ear Nymph.

kayo 02-04-2012 07:27 PM

remember, the fly with one wing instead of two caches the fish ;);)

jaybo41 02-04-2012 08:08 PM

Free 2 hour class, validation on some of your already honed skills, learned something new and met good people. Sounds like a good day to me.

lthrnk03 02-04-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 391034)
Free 2 hour class, validation on some of your already honed skills, learned something new and met good people. Sounds like a good day to me.

It was indeed a great day. Looking back on it, I probably went into it with some unreal expectations as to what the "curriculum" was. Having never been to a class before, I guess I expected to learn to tie more than just one fly. Though in my head I didn't take into account that there would be people there who hadn't tied a single fly yet. It was nice helping some of the others with whatever little knowledge I could impart on them. :)

fire instructor 02-04-2012 09:42 PM

The local class that I mentioned in Post #2 (above) is 8-weeks long. The first week was a tool and knot class (starting hitch, half hitch, pinch wrap, & whip finish). Beyond that, we are learning two flys per week, basic to more complex. Started with a Wooley Bugger, and advancing through wets, nymphs, streamers, drys, and the last week we spin deer hair.

The course doesn't teach us "everything", but exposes us to most anything! For example, to tie a Gold Rib Hares Ear, we had to spin a dubbing loop. Not necessary to sucessfully tie that particular fly, but now I know how to do it!

By the following week, we have to have five of each of the previous week's flys tied (and "inspected") for "homework". Completed homework awards the student with raffle tickets, which are drawn to award additional tying materials. A great incentive to do the homework!

They keep the student:instructor ratio at about 4:1, which leads to some very intense learning, rather than trying to work with a large group, too.