The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By okuma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Headed to Miami...

This week, for a week of training at the National Hurricane Center. (I know, a week in Miami in February is a tough assignment for a guy from Upstate NY! )

With the class schedule, I definetely won't get any fishing time, but I may be able to find time to hit any local fly or general fishing shops, especially if they have evening hours.

The NWC is on SW 17th, and the hotel we will be at is only about a mile or two from there, if that makes a difference, but if anyone knows of a shop worth me spending time to get to, please let me know!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Headed to Miami...

The Miami Fly Shop is on SW 82nd St. and US1 (South Dixie Hwy in that stretch). I don't know where you are. SW 17th St runs from Miami through Coral Gables and into S. Miami. Check it out on Map Quest.

I've never gone to a shop just to poke around. I was always looking for something, so I don't know if it's worth going to or not. Dave Olsen is the owner and I believe stocks Capt. Bob LeMay's flies and fishes with him. Capt. Bob does night trips sight fly fishing Biscayne Bay for tarpon in the bridge lights and dock lights, and usually gets multiple hookups on a good tide.

He has all the fly gear. I'd check into it if I were you. The tides might be right when you are there for a short trip with long results.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:12 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

If possible, head north to dania(ft.lauderdale airport). Bass Pro shop is there. I always found what I needed there. And then some.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I would second WJC's suggestion on Capt. Bob. If ever I get down there again I will try to book at least one evening with the Capt.. I have been in middle east FL for a month and it has been great and that is coming from a Hoosier.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:27 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I was able to make a quick stop at the Miami Fly Shop this afternoon, and it was worth it. It's a fairly well stocked shop, with VERY knowlegable and friendly help. Did some browsing, picked up a couple of theads, vinyl rib, and tinsil that my local shop was out of, and had a nice chat. Next time I'm down this way, I'll call them in advance and set-up a few hours on-the-water. I can't even fathom casting an 11 or 12 weight for a 100+ lb. tarpon!

Thanks for the recommendations to stop there!

I should have a bit of time to hit BPS on Friday, before I catch my flight home.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-08-2012, 06:12 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

id say go to the bass pros fly shop. Theres a very helpful guy by the name of kevin that knows alot of spots. Also Gary meyer works there and he has been fly fishing since the 3rd grade.