The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Clemson is on a distinguished road
Default One-man Boat

I would welcome some suggestions about brands of one-man boats to look into.

I fish mainly small, southern ponds for bass and bream. I would be looking for something that I could transport in the bed of my pickup truck. Inflatables, john boats, canoes, cats, tubes..... the choices are bewildering.

I would sure like to hear from some folks with experience in small fishing craft. I do have a small Minkota electric motor, but I am not afraid of paddle or fins for propulsion.

I think I would prefer to stay dry, but I am not morally opposed to those craft that require me to wear waders.

Any suggestions where to start?

Clemson
Old 08-15-2007, 06:47 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: One-man Boat

I would highly suggest a port a bote. These boats are very easily transported, easy to set up and very stable on the water. When I am not using it I have it hanging on the wall in my garage. I have the 12 1/2' model and love it. Two adults can stand up in the boat without having to worry about instablity. I believe that they start with a 10' model.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: One-man Boat

If you're interested in an inflatable- this packs down small, weighs 18 lb. is frameless and if you get the deck you can put a motor on it.
Navigator II by Northfork Outdoors.
A Porte Bote is nice also. We wanna get one of those one day. 16'er though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joni 2.jpg (40.7 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg navigator2.jpg (14.9 KB, 195 views)
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I float my 240# in a Outcast Fishcat tube occasionally, and it serves me well. If you'd rather keep yer feet away from the critters, a Perception Swifty Kayak is a great choice. They're super stable, will float 350#, and short enough to ride easily in the back of a pick-up. (though tying it down is wise)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Clemson,

Float tubes and pontoon boats are great out west but you are in the south and that may mean alligators or snakes. I think you would like the Bass Hunter style boat. The "Best Value" would work with one man. Your trolling motor would work for propulsion and you have plenty of room for a big battery. They are stable and would work for stand-up casting.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Clemson,

The Old Town Preditor is another very good choice for pond fishing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 AM

Clemson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great ideas, guys. Please keep 'em coming.

Frank, I do see a few snakes, but that hasn't kept me from wading the farm ponds. The typical farm pond has a mud bottom, and it is not at all unusual to find yourself literally knee deep in mud, particularly in the upper end of ponds which are fairly heavily silted. When you put a couple of feet of water on top of that muck, you quickly have a situation that limits your ability to cast!

I like the idea of a boat a bit better than a float, but there are times when portability would trump comfort. Maybe that would be an excuse to buy two craft......

Clemson