The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Flies for Carp (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/2367-flies-carp.html)

InsideSeam 08-15-2007 04:47 PM

Flies for Carp

Any suggestions? I found a YouTube clip where a guy was using smallish crayfish looking bugs. Any other ideas?

Fishstick 08-15-2007 04:58 PM

Re: Flies for Carp

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideSeam (Post 13661)
Any suggestions? I found a YouTube clip where a guy was using smallish crayfish looking bugs. Any other ideas?

I've caught a few on WB's in rust and black. Not an easy prey on the fly.

hardhat 08-15-2007 05:15 PM

I don't fly fish for carp, but my son does. He has some flys that look like pcs of bread. He told me that he kills them with those flys. He orders them off the net from somebody.

troutbum 08-16-2007 08:01 AM

I have chased carp around for years.Here are a few of my Favorite patterns.
1-conehead leech or egg sucking leech.
2-San Juan worm
3-small olive bugger
4-flesh flies
I have also had great luck with a assortment of bead head nymphs.
Tight Lines
Aaron

Roughrider 08-16-2007 09:41 AM

I have to go with troutbum on this one, my best patterns have been size 16 beadhead pheasant tails, hares ears and prince nymphs, I have done well on a fly called a snapping shrimp, and I know guys in Colorado, certain times of the year, do well on white buggers.

BigCliff 08-16-2007 12:33 PM

Flies in earth tones that have some weight that will allow you to hop them along the bottom are great for carp. Smaller earth-toned bonefish flies work great, just make sure to have the hooks plenty sharp. Google carp flies and you'll find lots of results.

InsideSeam 08-16-2007 08:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It wasn't mentioned, but it seemed to work. Close-up on www.insideseam.com

makubwa 08-17-2007 02:13 AM

Anything that looks like bread or fish pelletts will work.

InsideSeam 08-17-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makubwa (Post 13711)
Anything that looks like bread or fish pelletts will work.

I take it you're fishing park ponds? I somehow doubt bread flies would have helped us yesterday.

We floated the Upper Missouri looking for feeders to stalk. We found some, but they will not move far for a fly. You must put it right in their face to have a chance. Which happens to be rather tough, give how easily they spook.

For a full report, see InsideSeam.com.

BigCliff 08-17-2007 12:21 PM

This guy one of the more expert carp anglers out there Trash on the Fly Guide Service: Carp fishing near DFW I think he fishes much more in stillwaters, but I bet his methods will work pretty well in moving water as well.