The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pocono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wet Flies

I am going to head out to my closest trout hole Thursday morning. Its been a while since I have been there, but I was reflecting on the last time I was there. There were trout rising all around me, but I could only manage to get a couple in shallow water using nymphs. So it got me to thinking, even though I saw fish rising all around me and was casting dry flies, I suspect that maybe they were still feeding sub-surface as I saw no hatch. I think maybe a wet fly, emerger pattern would have been appropriate. With my newness to fly fishing, I am still working on techniques.

So my question is....Whats the best way to fish wet flies? I have tied up a couple of emerger patterns, but don't know exactly the best way to fish them. Dead drift, small strips??
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Wet Flies

I'd say mix it up to see what works. Start dead drifting and then change if nothing takes.
Sticking to one method is usually a good way to skunk! Fruitless fishing is not as much fun as figuring it out and catching a couple.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I fish them across and down on a dead drift with intermittent stops of the rod tip during the drift.

The stops allow the water pressure to "push" the fly upward in the water column; making it rise like a mature pupae or adult after laying eggs. At the end of your dead drift there's also a natural stop when you decide that your drift has ended. This is a point where the fly will also rise up and it's a likely point to get a strike.

Jim Leisenring used this technique a lot. He called his stops "lifts"; hence the common Catskills/Poconos term "Leisinring lift".

Have fun with it!

Pocono
lthrnk03 likes this.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:55 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I fish them across and down on a dead drift with intermittent stops of the rod tip during the drift.

The stops allow the water pressure to "push" the fly upward in the water column; making it rise like a mature pupae or adult after laying eggs. At the end of your dead drift there's also a natural stop when you decide that your drift has ended. This is a point where the fly will also rise up and it's a likely point to get a strike.

Jim Leisenring used this technique a lot. He called his stops "lifts"; hence the common Catskills/Poconos term "Leisinring lift".

Have fun with it!

Pocono

This is a GREAT technique. It sounds more complicated than it really is and most people do it by accident by getting ready to pull the line in for another drift, only to find a fish on the end!

Start with a good drag free drift. If you don't get bites, try short quick strips, if that doesn't work swing the fly so that it's moving quicker. If those don't work, change flies.

99% of the nymphing I do catches fish on a dead drift. It's just the most natural. Fish are keyed in on a pattern and will generally eat it no matter if it's moving or not. But remember that nymphs and emergers don't really move fast at all and are at the mercy of the water current.

Also, for every rise you see, there's probably another 5 fish in the run feeding sub surface. Try a dry dropper rig and see if you can pick up fish on both!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The main thing I find with Wet Flies(as well as Dries for that matter) is you have to present something that resembles what The Trout is either feeding on or they want to eat,so it doesn't hurt to have a reco to see what's in The Food chain,if you can replicate what insects,etc is in your Fishing Hole you will have a better chance of catching them.
At present at our Local Lake Muddies are everywhere so we are catching Rainbows & Browns on Rabbit & Kangaroo Fur Flies.

Incidently Muddies are The Dragon Fly Nymphs which climb up bushes,they even crawl all over you before hatching into Dragon Flies.
Brian.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Great advice guys! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

for nymphing, flip a few stones over in a faster section and see what is crawling beneath. This will help to know what size to fish and what colors of bugs they are eating. ie, if you find olive colored small stonefly nymphs, an olive copper john may work well. You might find a bunch of cased caddis, or maybe just tiny #26 midge larvae. If you tie your own, you'll start matching what you see instead of buying the closest bet at the store.

If you are working the same run for a while, change your flies up every 10 minutes or so. The 'rest time' given to the run will make the fish more eager to eat, and sometimes just seeing something different will get them to bite.
Typical nymphing scenario:
Change fly or weight(depth).
Immediate couple of bites.
Maybe you catch one.
Fish start ignoring that fly.
Change fly/weight, repeat.
A friend and I fished the same small run this way recently, each of us catching several. Probably rotated through 12-15 patterns and 3-4 hook sizes between the two of us. Most of the patterns worked as long as it was 'new' to the fish. He caught a 15" brown after being there an hour!

If you don't change your fly up, keep moving to new holes, ie 'cover some water'. This is my favorite way, 'fly confidence' and more walking to unsuspecting fish. At crowded locations, you might need to stake out your hole though...