The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 05:35 PM

kmsurfs2000 is on a distinguished road
Default trip help please

hi there, new to the forum but been fly fishing for years-okay so I need some help from the experts on here-I mainly fish the east coast -both fresh and salt-anyways I have had a rough year health wise and got through it for now and wanted to treat myself to a special trip-looking for the"trip of a life time" if you will but keeping it in the US and not including alaska- I want to do a 7-10 trip out west-narrowed it down to MT, WY, UT and ID-here is what I am looking for in a nutshell-basically a lodge that has lots of private water or private water access as I don't want to fight the crowds-get plenty of that here on the east coast- a place with lots of fish of course would be nice but just as important is being a nice beautiful area with great peaceful scenery. I am not looking to rough it at all on this trip-the nicer the trip the better as I really have earned it-So long story short are there any places you can suggest to stay with money not being an object for this trip-I would much appreciate the help-been researching online and am starting to lose my mind with all of the options etc...

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

p.s I am looking for a place with its own guides as I want to do a guided trip each day-not looking to go out on my own on this one

thanks again
Old 07-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: trip help please

I'm not too familiar with lodges in the West but if riding a horse is possible for you, take a look at Maroon Bells fishing outfitters in Snowmass CO. Otherwise I would tell you to break your no Alaska rule and head to Katmai. If you really want the trip of a lifetime Katmai or any luxury lodge on Bristol Bay is it, sorry.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

If you're willing to move out a bit from your target states, sounds to me like the perfect spot for you is the Vermejo Park Ranch (website link VPR invite) up near Raton on the New Mexico-Colorado border (in the 12,000-foot range, but didn't "breathe" that high to me). This is an Orvis-endorsed fishing lodge owned by Ted Turner, who has restored it to its natural state after he bought it from Pennzoil (i.e., got rid of the cattle & fences & brought in Bison herds and Elk, etc.). It is the largest privately-owned piece of property in at least the lower 48 states. The facilities are magnificent, as is the service and food, but all done in a low-key tasteful way to fit a western decor - the most relaxing place I've ever visited. More small fishing lakes full of large trout of varying species than you'd have time to fish, all provided with boats with trolling motors and batteries, and some of the best small-stream fishing I've ever had the privilege to fly-fish. Beautiful high-country scenery. Not cheap (otherwise I'd certainly bring my non-fishing wife, who would love it).
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ard, if money is not object take a hard look at one of the fly out lodges in Bristol Bay, that is one place you will find phenomenal fishing and virtually no other anglers.
That said here are a couple possiblities:
South Fork Outfitters (fly shop and guides) are tied to South Fork Lodge located in Swan Valley, ID and sit right on the South Fork of the Snake. The fishing will be fantastic you even have the option of doing a float through the canyon and making a two day float, camping in the canyon.
South Fork Outfitters : 1 800.483.2110 : Professional Guided Fly Fishing : PO Box 22 Swan Valley Idaho 83449

I believe Mike Lawson owns both the South Fork Outfitters fly shop and the Henry's Fork Anglers fly shop so there is the possiblility of fishing South Fork for a few days and then transition over to the Henry's Fork.

Larry
Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 PM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road

Not exactly exclusive, but when you're floating it doesn't matter....

The Bighorn in Fort Smith, Montana. Steve Hilburs and Hale Harris of The Bighorn Trout Shop.
Bighorn Trout Shop : Fort Smith, Montana : Bighorn River Fly Fishing Shop, Guides, Lodge & Fine Dining

Great guys, Great new lodge, giant trout. Nuff said