The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Toothy Fish......

Hello fellow FFF members.

We are developing a toothy fish leader, do to the many requests we have received. I personally do not have all that much experience chasing toothy fish with a fly rod. Therefore, I have few questions, if you feel you can be of help, It will be very much appreciated. After I have narrowed down the design, I would be more than happy to send some leaders to FFF members for testing.

1). We are testing various wire tippets from a few different manufactures. I am curious if any of you have any favorites and why?
2). Do any of you use a snap / swivel on the end of your wire tippet, if so what type do you recommend. (for fly fishing)
3). What lb. Breaking strength of wire tippet is most often used. Most requests have been for 7-8-9-10 weight rods.

If you have any additional info that you feel may be beneficial, I am all ears. I thank you all in advance for any feedback that I receive.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Toothy Fish......

i personally have a 9 weight rod and would like the breaking strength to be at least 20 pounds. The wire type depends on the fish targetted. You can get away with 64 strand when chasing baracuda. When chasing sharks 1 strand.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use a 4" piece of #30 or less wire trace here for bluefish and length of about twice that for pike
I'll carry my own premade sections made with a seprated snap/swivel with the wire section inbetween but those are only to deal with "buck fever" and normally I'll tie the trace of 64 strand knotable wire or the coated 7 strand on the spot.
I don't care for the stainless single strand "piano wire" as it kinks too easily
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I use a tieable wire tippet i think its called surflon. I have it in 30# and use about a 12" piece.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I use a 4" piece of #30 or less wire trace here for bluefish
Same here, 4" length 15 to 30 lb coated wire, prefer the tieable stuff, for tying on the water. Don't use snaps usually.

I use the 7 strand too with crimps, but only for pre-rigging Bluefish flies.

Don't fish for Pike, never use a wire leader for Pickerel.
billyspey likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I just use #3 Malin, brown stainless, single-wire with a haywire twist on both ends - pre-tied to a few flies. That's about 30 lb test. I tie them on with an Albright.

The reason for the twist on the leader side instead of just a bend-back is so I can put them in my shirt pocket without the leader poking me or getting stuck.

Edit:
Quote:
I am curious if any of you have any favorites and why?
It's dirt cheap. I've been doing it that way all my life. I trust the connections. I always have it in the boat and at home. It's very thin and doesn't usually spook the fish. I use a doubled section to clean out the **** hole on my motor when it gets clogged from sucking muck. And use a doubled section for making emergency splices in braid. It's also very light.

Last edited by wjc; 02-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 PM

NDflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I flyfish pike often and over the years I have tried just about every leader material both flyfishing made toothy leaders and standard steel leaders. I'm sold on single strand titanium. BOA is the brand I use but I think the others would be just as good. It doesn't kink as easily as steel causing your fly to swim unnatural. Titanium has a stretch to it so 15lb-20lb will land a very large (20+lb) pike without issues.

I prefer non slip loop knots over swivels. I've tried many swivels but a non slip just seems to out fish a swivel end. Swivels are more convenient but not as productive.

If I could ever find a leader tough enough to land pike but still give me an opportunity for trout that would be ideal. Where I flyfish both large browns and bows inhabit the same very clear water as pike. Fishing for pike with steel of any kind eliminates your chances for trout. Fishing mono equals lots of lost flies to pike.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

ND,

This probably won't work for you, but I'll throw it out there for salt water guys fishing the flats.

I often get buddies coming down who always want to bonefish - not knowing how spotty it can be (and discouraging peeiring for hours looking for something that may never turn up). It's tough on them to see a bunch of cuda 3' long just waiting in the grass for something to eat and not be able to throw at them.

So I started rigging cuda flies for them to stick in their tiop pocket with wire to the fly and a short length of 30 # mono to it, with a Duncan loop in the other end. When they get bored or discouraged and see a good cuda, they just slip the Duncan loop over the bonefish fly and snug it up. Doesn't take but a few seconds.

Cuda are normally just laying up waitning motionless for dinner to swim by, or if moving, doing it very, very slowly anyhow.

I have a litte 3 buck wire straightener for emergency fixes that you squeeze between thumb and two fingers that works pretty well if you're not too fussy and the fish aren't either.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I have some Surflon wire I used. 16 or 17 pound, I believe. The last few times I went for pike, I've been tying loops on the ends of my leader and using a loop-to-loop system with 30lb fluorocarbon as a shock tippet.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really have a brand preference as long as it's nylon covered. I have used Berkley and American. Six of one, half a dozen of the other as they say. I use the double end of a Bimini twist to Albright knot one end of the steel, and then use a twist melt knot for the fly. It's the old Dahlberg style leader. I started off using it and never saw a reason to change it.