The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mentors. How much influence on you as a flyfisherman ?

My fly fishing mentor, would be the ladies/gentlemen of this forum whom have given their time and lent me their experience.

Granpa was my mentor for what is truly important about fishing. It was granpa who showed me the value of patience, how to listen to the forest and understand the natural rhythms of nature. Granpa practiced good stewardship and above all but his Lord, honor in all things. The forum members taught me how to fly fish but it was granpa, who taught me how to enjoy it.

Dave
Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

My Dad and Grandad taught me how to fish (in Alabama), but I've had to teach myself how to fly-fish (first in Southern ponds and then in the Northeast). I still have a lot to learn about cold water fishing. A LOT.

Edit to say that any tips for Eastern Mass would be welcome.

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited by biggie_robs; 02-10-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Any tips are welcome
Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Never had one to teach me about fly fishing just watched people fish, read some of your guys and gals posts and watched videos. Still do all of those.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I'm essentially self taught when it comes to flyfishing. There were a lot of people who gave pointers and tips along the stream bank.

My mentor who taught me fishing generally is my father. Still sassy and spry at 82.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I was lucky enough to have the likes of Fick, Dette's, Wulff, Dardee, Kreh, and Schreibert as mentors when I was younger.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Never had one to teach me about fly fishing just watched people fish, read some of your guys and gals posts and watched videos. Still do all of those.
Same here. Taken a few lessons, hired a couple of guides as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I was lucky enough to have the likes of Fick, Dette's, Wulff, Dardee, Kreh, and Schreibert as mentors when I was younger.
That's an understatement! Quite an impressive list of mentors there Sandfly.

I learned by trial and error, watching others, reading (forum included) and through guides. I've learned quite a bit from Chi though.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

I would have to say my Father is my first Mentor. He took the time to teach his son how to fish the right way. He loves to fish but not as much as me. My grandfather would be my second. He taught me how to make baits and molds for baits a long time ago before he passed. I guess I get that form him. I also make most of baits that I use when I am not fly fishing. Which is not to often. Can't wait to teach my kids and pass on the knowledge that I know.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I learn something from every fisherman I meet but my best "mentors" have been the fish themselves.

Many years, loving just being on the water no matter and water clear enough to sight fish both out in Wyoming, Colorado, Montana and down on the clear springs in Florida are the real back bone behind my life long learning curve.

I learned what I don't like while trying my hand at tournament bass fishing in Florida!

All in all, I'm about half as good a fisherman now, as I would like to have been 10 years ago. Here's praying I never get it figured all out because the puzzle of it all is what keeps me doing it.