The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mentors. How much influence on you as a flyfisherman ?

I consider myself privileged for having several mentors guiding me through my life in fishing. One imparticular influenced the way I approached the sport in the surf as well as how I conducted myself.Respecting fish was not an option with this man but rule of thumb . He made long casts look effortless and finding fish simple . And he shared his wisdom about the sport with me freely and I will never forget his teachings.
Did you have a mentor and how did he influence you. I'd like to hear about it.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Mentors. How much influence on you as a flyfisherman ?

Hi Boz,

Sorry but I can't write it all here, I never had a constant helping me out but one day I met this guy. I will PM you the link to the story.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Yes I have to say I've had a mentor that helped tremendously in the steep learning curve at the beginning. He kept saying "I shouldn't be telling you this but..." and then he would proceed to give up all his secrets; I guess my innocence just drew it out of him
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

During the early 80's, AK Best taught me nearly everything I know about fly tying. Tools, techniques, choosing materials, "don't take any sh** from your materials," God gave you the best whip finisher there is" (two fingers), "don't put down your sissors," etc. etc.

A client I guided a lot in the 90's showed me the meaning of fly fishing. He showed me it was ok to fish the way you like all the time, numbers meant nothing, and the hatch and the rise would eventually come. He showed me how to slow down and observe. He taught me patience. In effect, this one man made me who I am today on a river with a fly rod.

There's many more, but those two stand out.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Some at my FF Club gave of their time to teach tying; casting; fishing. I owe everything that I know about FFing to them, and those on this Forum that share their knowledge.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately no real mentors that I fish with... And I am famous for learning things the hard way!

But, Jay and Randy at Rocky mountain anglers have given me countless small valuable pointers that have helped me improve. When I started out, I stopped in to buy some flies. I was overwhelmed with "try PMDs, BWOs, some PTs, Barr emergers, and maybe some princes."
I had to admit that he "could have basically been speaking Chinese to me" and that I had no clue what he was talking about. Jay picked me out a few, gave me a few tips, and I started catching fish. I later found out he is a published author, pro guide, pro fly tier, etc. Never would have guessed because he is just a nice guy that was helping a complete novice! Climbing is the same way, the 'Best' of the pros don't care if you suck as long as you love what you are doing. To me that is the best attitude. Better to help someone not suck than to laugh at them sucking/abusing fish.

One afternoon fishing the 'toilet bowl', I received a ton of help on fighting bigger fish more effectively from a guy that was willing to share the sweet spot. Amazing what one afternoon with someone more experienced will do.

I've gotta say, this site and its members act as mentors. I've learned so much more about casting, presentation, and gear since visiting this site.

Thanks again to the veterans for sharing so much valuable information
with those of us who are still 'falling in love' with the art of fly fishing.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Back in 1975, I was fortunate enough to hook up with this interesting fellow who worked with Chuck Fothergill at Chuck's shop in Aspen, CO...

Click the image to open in full size.

Georges Odier

...some of my fellow dinosaurs might recall who he was...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had what you would call a mentor. In fact I never had what could even remotly be called a mentor. When I was a fairly young kid my Dad bought me me first fly rod. He showed me how to cast it. Then my parents promptly got divorced. This put a serious dent in my ability to have him teach me stuff without my younger siblings along. He got me the basic casting stuff and then I was on my own. Everything I have learned since has been from books, magazines or video. So basically, my mentor has been the modern worlds ability to spread information. Now days my most influential mentor has the first and last names, You and Tube.
theboz likes this.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

My mentor....thats pretty easy. My dad.....he's the one who introduced me to fly fishing. He's a casting instructor at his local club and working on his FFF Casting Instructor Certification. He's my Yoda.... We tend to get together once or twice a year to fish, but talk fly fishing all the time.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I started flyfishing alone and learnt by myself....but made a great step when I met Roland...:http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-friends2.html