The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Do you use a stomach Pump
Yes 6 18.75%
No 26 81.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Question Stomach Pumps

How Many of you use a stomach pump & does anyone have any data on the Trout mortality #'s when you use them? I was told that unless you use them correctly you'll injure the fish, so I don't use one.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Stomach Pumps

Hi FISHN50,

Good question. I don't do it so there is no chance that I might injure a fish. I think a much better approach is a small screen net to collect samples of what is in the river. Even if you have to turn over a few rocks. I will leave stomach pumps to the experts.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

I was told to pick one up from a buddy of mine. but after reading the details of how to use one, I think it would be much safer for me to get a mesh net like frank said. if I wanted to know what is in a fishes stomach I would hire a team of marine biologist and icthyologist to do the reasearch.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

Yes, a mesh net is more humane. Using a stomach pump robs a fish of it's food and energy. If theres a dead fish on the shore that recently died, you could pump it's stomach.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road

Good post. I've been addicted to mesh. Usually before throwing a line I'll seine for about 20 min. It can be helpfull, but some times when the water is too deep it just doesn't work. What I'm going to do is put longer handles on the mesh to get deeper. The big problem is carrying the thing for the rest of the day. I do find it helpful. Also carry a small hand lense to help identify the smaller insects. S.D.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

Never use one. I've always used a screen. The less that I handle a fish, the better off he is.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:47 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I have never used one and never would. It is much more fun to explore the area and discover. Mesh, water samples and rock turning for me.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
I have never used one and never would. It is much more fun to explore the area and discover. Mesh, water samples and rock turning for me.
Hardhat,

You make a good point. It is fun to turn over a few rocks to see what you can find. It is one of the quickest ways to figure out what is going on in the stream.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:59 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i think most people when they use a stomach pump use it incorrectly and really jab the pump deep into the fish. can you imagine? of course that potentially increases the risk of injury. i've read the correct way is to flush the fish's mouth with stream/lake water and that flushes some of what its had to eat into the pump. it is not inserted into the fish. i read this somewhere, i think from a fisheries biologist's site. completely unattributed so take it with a grain of salt but i post it to hopefully open some eyes. either way, no, i would not use a stomach pump.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 AM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

I have used one but I only use it on fish that I have decided to keep already, just saves me cutting it open, lets me know more of what they are eating.