The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Cracked Fly Line (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/238330-cracked-fly-line.html)

lthrnk03 02-10-2012 02:47 PM

Cracked Fly Line

I was inspecting my fly line the other day and found a crack/break about 10-12 feet up from the loop. Its a WF line.... is the line completely shot or can I just cut off from the break forward? I guess the other option is just buying a new line, I see that Orvis is running a sale on their Wonderline.....

Hardyreels 02-10-2012 02:58 PM

Re: Cracked Fly Line

Ian,

For small creeks I wouldn't sweat it unless something really hinky starts to happen. If you can pick up a bargain to replace with then why not. Don't cut it, put a little Aqua Seal on the crack.

Ard

jaybo41 02-10-2012 03:05 PM

I would not cut it, that will change your taper. If you had DT, I'd say cut it and use the other end of the fly line. If I were you, I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I had this happen to me one or two days in on a 10 day trip. My line was cracked straight all the way around the line. If I pulled on it, I could see the core. The one shop in my area didn't have the line I wanted so I used Loon Knotsense to seal the crack. Worked just fine through the trip and bought me more time before I replaced it. Clear Cure Goo might work as well. Aqua Seal is a great suggestion from Ard.

See how it performs after you fix it before you replace it, although you'll probably need it sooner rather than later. Then again a fix may end up being just fine depending on how much you fish with it.

Rip Tide 02-10-2012 03:08 PM

You can cut back the level tip of a fly line 6-8 inches without changing the performance too much, but beyond that you're into the taper and then the belly.
Use some flexible cement as Ard and Jay have said. Goop would work as well.

lthrnk03 02-10-2012 03:09 PM

The crack seems pretty substantial. It goes right down to the core of the line.

Hardyreels 02-10-2012 03:17 PM

Don't panic, seal it and fish :D

lthrnk03 02-10-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 394468)
Don't panic, seal it and fish :D

Sounds good Ard! Looks like I'll be headed out later to pick up some Aqua Seal. I didn't get out fishing this week because of that crack. With any luck, I'll be able to get out late this week, but even that is iffy. My little boy is his adenoids removed and tubes put in his ears on Monday.

Hardyreels 02-10-2012 03:37 PM

oooh, that doesn't sound good, how old is he?

lthrnk03 02-10-2012 03:46 PM

Ard,

He's 3, it should be a pretty simple procedure and he should rebound quickly. I'm just planning on it impacting my fishing plans later in the week (not that I really mind though). Spring is just around the corner, so there's plenty of fishing to be done. :-)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

silver creek 02-10-2012 05:38 PM

Use these methods:

Repairing Fly Line Coatings | MidCurrent