The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough
Default Cracked Fly Line

I was inspecting my fly line the other day and found a crack/break about 10-12 feet up from the loop. Its a WF line.... is the line completely shot or can I just cut off from the break forward? I guess the other option is just buying a new line, I see that Orvis is running a sale on their Wonderline.....
Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cracked Fly Line

Ian,

For small creeks I wouldn't sweat it unless something really hinky starts to happen. If you can pick up a bargain to replace with then why not. Don't cut it, put a little Aqua Seal on the crack.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not cut it, that will change your taper. If you had DT, I'd say cut it and use the other end of the fly line. If I were you, I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I had this happen to me one or two days in on a 10 day trip. My line was cracked straight all the way around the line. If I pulled on it, I could see the core. The one shop in my area didn't have the line I wanted so I used Loon Knotsense to seal the crack. Worked just fine through the trip and bought me more time before I replaced it. Clear Cure Goo might work as well. Aqua Seal is a great suggestion from Ard.

See how it performs after you fix it before you replace it, although you'll probably need it sooner rather than later. Then again a fix may end up being just fine depending on how much you fish with it.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You can cut back the level tip of a fly line 6-8 inches without changing the performance too much, but beyond that you're into the taper and then the belly.
Use some flexible cement as Ard and Jay have said. Goop would work as well.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

The crack seems pretty substantial. It goes right down to the core of the line.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Don't panic, seal it and fish

Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Don't panic, seal it and fish
Sounds good Ard! Looks like I'll be headed out later to pick up some Aqua Seal. I didn't get out fishing this week because of that crack. With any luck, I'll be able to get out late this week, but even that is iffy. My little boy is his adenoids removed and tubes put in his ears on Monday.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Administrator

oooh, that doesn't sound good, how old is he?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 PM

Ard,

He's 3, it should be a pretty simple procedure and he should rebound quickly. I'm just planning on it impacting my fishing plans later in the week (not that I really mind though). Spring is just around the corner, so there's plenty of fishing to be done. :-)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Use these methods:

Repairing Fly Line Coatings | MidCurrent
jaybo41 likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy