The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 10:36 PM

frntrnge is on a distinguished road
Default Back To School

Just found the forum here recently....lots of great information.
After 30 years of fishing with my ugly stick spin system, I've decided to become a student again and learn the ways of the fly. I have a few friends who are avid fly fisherman so I have some help.
I'm excited about learning something new and the challenges and thrills that come with it.
I'll be fishing mostly rivers in the Rockies, and some smaller lakes for trout...so looking at a 5 wt or 6.

I found some great advice here on beginner outfits.....Hobbs Creek (White River), LL Bean Streamflight, Cabelas, and Redington to name the brands I'm considering, as they all have outfits under $175 and even $150.
Sounds like they all have their own following of fans, so I won't ask which is preferable. I like something about each of them.

Otherwise, I guess I don't have a question yet....YET, just glad I found you guys and wanted to say hi.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Back To School

Hello and welcome to the group.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

Welcome!

Cabelas has some really great outfits for a good price. I purchased a 4wt Traditions II / Three Forks combo a 2 years ago when I got back into fly fishing. It is a good set up.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamanglerx View Post
Welcome!

Cabelas has some really great outfits for a good price. I purchased a 4wt Traditions II / Three Forks combo a 2 years ago when I got back into fly fishing. It is a good set up.
Thanks for the tip...I will definitely give Cabelas a look. I heard somebody suggest that Cabelas is a better place for fly outfits than Bass Pro. But I'll give them a look.
Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Might I suggest that you stick around here for a while and observe the lunacy before you actually make the step into fly fishing....... You don't wanna end up like us.

Welcome to the forum-- and there is a ton of knowledgeable people here. The thing that makes this place great is the people-- and their eagerness to help and share info. Ask away-- there are no stupid questions.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

frntrnge: Welcome to the forum!
You live in a great area to learn fly fishing and there are lots of fly shops and Trout Unlimited Chapters to help out, I'd recommend you look into joining a chapter if one is near. Back in the early 80's while I was stationed in Colorado Springs I took up fly fishing and haven't put a fly rod down since! You'll find that fly fishing is a lifetime learning experience, sit back and enjoy the ride and the memories it brings!

Larry
Old 07-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
frntrnge: Welcome to the forum!
You live in a great area to learn fly fishing and there are lots of fly shops and Trout Unlimited Chapters to help out, I'd recommend you look into joining a chapter if one is near. Back in the early 80's while I was stationed in Colorado Springs I took up fly fishing and haven't put a fly rod down since! You'll find that fly fishing is a lifetime learning experience, sit back and enjoy the ride and the memories it brings!

Larry
ya, I do love the springs...I live just outside the city, but I love the mountains out here. Looking forward to learning something new. I bet this place is a lot different from what you probably remember in the 80's.
Thanks everyone!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Welcome,

A fly rod makes fishless days more fun and "fish on" truly meaningful.

I went through grade school and early high school in Denver. Your blessed to be in such country. I look forward to hearing of your exploits, please do tell.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frntrnge View Post
ya, I do love the springs...I live just outside the city, but I love the mountains out here. Looking forward to learning something new. I bet this place is a lot different from what you probably remember in the 80's.
Thanks everyone!
frntrnge: I lived on the north end of town, just off E. Woodman Rd. A few years back I had a week long training on the north end of Colorado Springs so I decided to ride my bike down I25, took E470 around Denver then when I got back on I-25 (this was a Sunday) I couldn't believe all the traffic. Almost bumper to bumper all the way to Colorado Springs, boy was that a surprise. We sure enjoyed living there while in the service, but the stay was way to short, only two years, then back to Virginia for another tour at TAC Headquarters.

Larry
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

frntrnge- hey welcome to the forum. Having some buddies that already fly fish is a big advantage-- they'll be a big help to get you up to speed.

The good news is that there are bunch of great stuff out there that won't break the bank. And being in Colorado you are blessed with some great fly shops--- if i were you I'd try and take advantage of that and look for a fly shop that can set you up with a moderately priced outfit in your price range. Their prices for comparable brands and models will be the same as Cabelas or LL Bean,

Though a local shop may not have the range of products as a major on-line outfit, (different brands and models of gear), a fly shop will generally have some decent stuff at entry level price points with rods by companies like Redington, Echo, TFO, St Croix etc. Many times the fly shop will throw in a few freebie casting lessons, help you rig up etc, and will also be your "go to" place for advice on local fishing and techniques. If you have a good local shop near you it'll be worth its weight in gold to you as you are starting out, and well worth supporting.

And Larry's suggestion about joining a local chapter of Trout Unlimited (TU) is an excellent one, and the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF) has affiliated clubs across the country. These chapters/clubs have informative meetings, group trips to local waters, casting clinics and tying classes etc. You have a couple in your area.

You can do a search for TU chapters here:
Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

And FFF affiliated clubs here:
Locate a Club

and these folks are definitely worth checking out:
Pikes Peak Flyfishers | Home Page

Good luck!

You can do a search here: