The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 AM

orff8800 is on a distinguished road
Default Lacrosse Custom Rods?

I think there were some old topics on this but was curious if anyone had any new info, or what they thought of these rods. I'm looking for a small 2 or 3 weight setup for trout fishing, and definitely like the prices they sell for on Ebay. Any info would be appreciated!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:54 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lacrosse Custom Rods?

I just looked at them fast. First thing I noticed was the Tip Top is a loop just pressed into the tube. Not welded in. That tells me right off the guides are going to be iffy. Then you have the $20 case. If that's true he is making a profit on the remaining $49. I wouldn't expect them to be a real great rod. You can get a Cabela's Three Forks rod for $49 and I know those are OK. Keep in mind Cabela's can do that because they buy the box car. If we are taking votes on this, mine has to be a no.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I've looked at those rods several times, but always decided to hold on to my money.
Not sure why, but I have them pictured in my mind as something built with the cheapest components available by low skilled labor in a "sweat shop" environment.

Not saying they would be worthless, just saying don't expect too much in the way of fit, finish, and quality for those prices.

I actually have a few low end rods I've been somewhat pleased with.
Eagle claw, RiverBeast, and Emerald Matrix are all eBay purchases and have proven to be functional (but far from a thing of beauty).
Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have one in 6ft 6" 3wt. For the money, it does right well. I can roll cast in small creeks, sling line 40-50ft. The quality is pretty good. It's not G. Loomis or anything, but it gets the job done admirably, IMO.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 AM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough

I bought one a couple years ago in a 7' 2wt. It was ok. My only complaint was the reel seat was to large and the reel would wiggle a little. Unfortunatly it was broken last year. We were riding horses into a little native brookie stream and it came untied and the horse stepped on it.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fish View Post
I bought one a couple years ago in a 7' 2wt. It was ok. My only complaint was the reel seat was to large and the reel would wiggle a little. Unfortunatly it was broken last year. We were riding horses into a little native brookie stream and it came untied and the horse stepped on it.
That is one of the better 'how I broke the rod' stories I've heard lately. You should search for 'The Broken Rod Poll' and enter the rod into the statistics there Sorry that had to happen, it must have been a bit of a damper on the day.

I bought a LaCross 9 weight as a backup rod about 4 years ago. The first string rod is an Orvis 9X9 and the LaCross does not cast like the Orvis but then it cost $46 so I'm OK with it as backup. It seems a bit stiff until you get some line out to load it. Fit & finish is good for such a low priced rod.

Depending on the size you are looking for there are plenty of bargains to be had so take your time.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a couple of years ago i bought my wife a 7' 2 weight lacrosse. i t was their axis series and came with a sock and cordura rod tube for 45 bucks.
i have fished a couple of times and would say for the price, its not to bad.
the rod has a moderate action that lends iyself well to throwing small poppers to hungry bluegills

casey

edit- 50, what reel were you using that had the wobble?
my wife has a okuma slv on hers and has had no issues.

ARFE
Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough

I think it was a cheap Martin reel. Guess it could have been the reel, never tried to put another one on it.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 PM

orff8800 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the input...think I'll take my time seeing what deals may pop up on stuff