The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's talk about tube flies

Hey guys,

Once again I need your help. I could use some input form those of you that fish tubeflies. Why do you fish them? From looking at them I see a few potential benefits:
1. The floating stinger style hook setup could be deadly at times
2. Being able to put a small, circle hook on a big fly without it being lost in material could be an advantage
3. A hook further back could be helpfull when fishing toothy critters.

These are just my observations from looking at them. I've never actually fished them so if you fish them and have a minute, please tell me why.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about tube flies

I have all the stuff, but just can justify it yet...LOL I say the biggest advantage to me besides the 3 you mentioned is they don't mudilate the fly.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting all the stuff myself. I need more tying styles like I need a hole in the head but if I can justify it...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I've also heard that they are safer on the fish because the fish doesn't swallow the hook as deeply, but I've never fished them myself.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

One definite advantage is the ability to change hoooks...You take the time to tye a nice looking salmon fly on a hook, then break the hookpoint off; what do you have? A nice looking fly that you can't use...

Dan
Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is definitely true, although never happened to me...LOL The Steelhead thing anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
2. Being able to put a small, circle hook on a big fly without it being lost in material could be an advantage
3. A hook further back could be helpfull when fishing toothy critters.
All those, Swirl, plus what Huron Dan said about changing hooks, especially in salt water.

Even without toothy fish, it doesn't hurt on huge flies to get the hook further back without sacrificing hook gap. And it allows for shorter shank hooks which are far superior to long shanks on larger fish especially when long fights are expected. And you can still tie baitfish patterns with huge eyes without losing any gap.

I've never tied one but will be going the end of the month to a fly tying class up in Melbourne to meet a guy and learn how(and maybe buy a new rod too).
Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I made a fairly long popper for my Canadian friend this Summer. He lost a couple of big Smallmouth when they ran into the weeds. My theory is that they get the fly turned backwards and unhook themselves. This was right before I came up with the idea of the earplug popper which is a tube fly. I have not had enough time fishing it yet to be 100% certain, but I think it keeps the fish from doing that. I didn't loose a one in the weeds. Another advantage is that if you get a toothier fish manages to bite you off, the fly floats back to the surface right away because it's not tied onto the hook. If you are in a boat, float tube, have an onshore wind, or are willing to swim for them, you can recover every single fly.

Another advantage to tube flies is tying a fly on a seriously heavy tube. You can go deep deep deep.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

I Just placed an order for a tube tying kit this weekend from my local fly shop.
I was wondering if any one could tell me a place to look up patterns or step by step for tube flys. Il still a novice when it comes to tying in general.
Thanks
DAVE
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I made a fairly long popper for my Canadian friend this Summer. He lost a couple of big Smallmouth when they ran into the weeds. My theory is that they get the fly turned backwards and unhook themselves. This was right before I came up with the idea of the earplug popper which is a tube fly. I have not had enough time fishing it yet to be 100% certain, but I think it keeps the fish from doing that. I didn't loose a one in the weeds. Another advantage is that if you get a toothier fish manages to bite you off, the fly floats back to the surface right away because it's not tied onto the hook. If you are in a boat, float tube, have an onshore wind, or are willing to swim for them, you can recover every single fly.

Another advantage to tube flies is tying a fly on a seriously heavy tube. You can go deep deep deep.
It was your earplug popper from the swap that prompted this Dan. I don't know wether to thank you or curse you. It looks like I'll be tying a few before the season kicks off. Thanks, I think...