The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Episode #3: When to Set the Hook on a Carp

Episode #3 of Lessons from the Carp Lodge has been posted on YouTube.

Transitioning out of the close quarter, early season fishing for Carp seems to bring a problem for me every year. This episode shows the problem and the solutions.

This episode demonstrates when to set the hook by showing a Carp clearly moving to eat a real bug and then moving to eat the fake. I personally really like this particular segment because you can clearly see the fish make a decided move to snatch up a meal and do exactly the same thing to pick up the Chocolate Cherry. No red arrows are needed at all.

You will see a Mirror Carp decide that I am ugly. What can I say?...

Casting and stripping are the techniques used to get the fly on the Carp's dinner plate in this episode.

Enjoy.

Mr. P.'s Blog

Last edited by mrp1; 02-11-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Fixing video link
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Episode #3: When to Set the Hook on a Carp

thanks for all your hard work and shareing. I hope to get into some carp this year. I just have to find them. Don't seem to be any in the waters that I fish
Old 02-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks again Mr. P.

I already watched this over on Westfly and really enjoyed it. I encourage everyone who has any interest in fly fishing for carp to watch these videos. They are well done and very, very informative. I am using Mr.P's videos and blog plus the blog of another carp man, John Montana here on NAFFF, to learn what i need to know when i go after carp this summer.

Glad to see you on this forum.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
thanks for all your hard work and shareing. I hope to get into some carp this year. I just have to find them. Don't seem to be any in the waters that I fish
Can't find carp? That's one I don't hear/read too often.

Thanks for the vids! I've enjoyed and appreciated all three.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

I live in Texas and we are well endowed with carp here. Can you tell me of some basic fly's to use for carp? mostly i see them pod up in packs of 6 or 7 and once in a while they disturb some mud which makes me think they are going after crayfish. These fish are easily spooked so I was wondering how far ahead of them should I cast not to spook them. Thank you for your time.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Thanks Ditz for the positive feedback. Good luck on your quest. When you hook one it will hook you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Thanks again Mr. P.

I already watched this over on Westfly and really enjoyed it. I encourage everyone who has any interest in fly fishing for carp to watch these videos. They are well done and very, very informative. I am using Mr.P's videos and blog plus the blog of another carp man, John Montana here on NAFFF, to learn what i need to know when i go after carp this summer.

Glad to see you on this forum.
Vans, thanks for the positive feedback. Summer is the time to chase Carp in the Pacific Northwest. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Can't find carp? That's one I don't hear/read too often.

Thanks for the vids! I've enjoyed and appreciated all three.
Biggie_Robs, thanks for the compliments; I appreciate hearing you enjoyed the videos.

Here in Washington there are some waters that have all kinds of Carp and in some places there aren't any Carp for miles and miles in every direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaser View Post
I live in Texas and we are well endowed with carp here. Can you tell me of some basic fly's to use for carp? mostly i see them pod up in packs of 6 or 7 and once in a while they disturb some mud which makes me think they are going after crayfish. These fish are easily spooked so I was wondering how far ahead of them should I cast not to spook them. Thank you for your time.
Drlaser, I tend to use simple flies for Carp. I can tie complicated flies but have gravitated to simple patterns for these fish. I fish the Carp Carrot a lot. There are several posts about it in my blog. A few other flies I use regularly are a Rubber Leg Hare's Ear, a San Juan Worm, and the Chocolate Cherry. I believe I was using the Chocolate Cherry in all of episode #3.

I received forum requests, blog comment requests, and emails asking me about the Chocolate Cherry and how to tie it. I just made a blog post about it. The post has the recipe for the pattern along with some thoughts on boobs and how to fish the fly. My blog is family friendly so don't be scared. The Chocolate Cherry and Small Boobs.

Mr. P.'s Blog