The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 PM

Neptune is on a distinguished road
Default Arkansas River

Any suggestions on where to fish on the Ark? I have paddled it numerous times but never fished it. Above BV? Salida? Leadville?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Arkansas River

I found all the fishing spots needed near Salida by stopping into the local fly shop. Pretty sure it was these guys- Find the Arkansas River Fly Shop and ArkAnglers for flyfishing and rafting in central Colorado They sent us to a spot near the hatchery, a park area up north of town, and even gave us some spots up on the South Platte.

If the water is slowing down like it normally is this time of year, fishing will actually get a bit easier. Fishing the Arkansas is a bit tricky because the flow is often pretty fast without many waterfalls or obstacles to slow down the flow, so the fish have a hard time finding a spot to relax. This means you'll need to focus on getting a nymph down to the fish and getting a good drift, or fish dries, wets, and emergers in the few spots of lighter current.

I think i caught most of mine on Copper Johns. Have an adjustable indicator and get ready to move it around alot.

Watch yer ankles too, the granite chunk bottom can gobble up a healthy ankle real quick.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road

When do you plan to go?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

Try this web site, They offer up todate fishing information on the ark, custom flies for the river, guide service and fishing reports for both the ark and the south platte. I used them for a 8 mile float south of Salida and had a good fishing trip this summer Colorado Fly Fishing Information, Fly Fishing Trips, Fly Fishing Gear, Royal Gorge Anglers