The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Fishing Injuries

I slipped and put a pretty good cut on my elbow. I used leaves to wipe away the blood so I could stay fishing. Thought I lost my cell phone in the fall. Couldn't find it so I assumed it fell out when I fell. Went and got another, then later that night I opened my trunk in the van and I heard a beep. The kind of beep you hear when you missed a call. Well, turns out I put it in another vest pocket. Pretty slick? Anyways, plenty of bruises from falls, all part of life on the river. You gotta love it!! Almost forgot, almost drowned once when I got out too deep in a fast moving river (too focused on trying to cast behind a large rock on the other side). I realized I was in trouble and couldn't move. The current started to make me slide. Current finally knocked me down and swept me under water twice behind this huge rock. Finally reached up and grabbed the rock and pulled myself out. Pretty close call! But you still gotta love it!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

What is it about injuries, us guys love talking about them don't we!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
What is it about injuries, us guys love talking about them don't we!!!
Yup, scars=pride, or its a way of showing that we actually get off the couch and do stuff. (wish I had the current bit of poison ivy whipped though, getting old)

We could also say that we're trying to help others learn from our mistakes, so they don't have to pee on the proverbial electric fence themselves.

I dang near drowned once on the Jersey shore. Moral of the story, sandbars move, and tides are much bigger on the East Coast than on the 3rd Coast.

Tip for those who habitually drown electronics- zip-lock bags help alot. I keep my cell in a zip-lock in the chest pocket of my waders. I don't float my hat often, but I'm sure glad the cell is zip-locked when I do. Much cheaper than the fancy rubber gasketed boxes too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Some rough stories here. Were any of you taking a fall using a wading staff? If not, do you think they would have helped?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Not injured, but I put myself in a potentially catastophic situation once. We have a pond out in a big pasture we lease to a local cattle rancher. I fished till dark on an overcast day--and discovered I had left my flashlight behind. Hiking back, it was extremely dark, and I unknowingly walked into the midst of a herd--and the calves started to get spooky. I shudder to think what might have happened had they run.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Some rough stories here. Were any of you taking a fall using a wading staff? If not, do you think they would have helped?
I am a firm believer in a wading staff. They will prevent spills while wading. They are also very handy getting down a step, loose bank. I have mine in it's holster and put it on when ever I wear my waders. I even carry it in my pontoon boat just in case I want to stop and wade.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:29 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I don't go into the river without my wading staff. The Savage River has been compared to walking on greased cannonballs. That is not far from the truth, I can assure you! But as a general rule, it's good for the river, as Frank said, for going down banks , it's also good for keeping snakes at bay. In my opinion, in the rivers that I fish anyways, the staff is invaluable. Who knows, you might need to fend off an animal! Some us fish in remote locations and seeing that you will never outrun a bear, well...I'm going down swinging!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-24-2007, 07:10 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

I always figured I'd wait another 30 years before adding a wading staff (I'm 27). Now, I could definitely give that a shot. It's been over four weeks and my arm is ALMOST better. Could have been worse.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

This 27 yr old uses his on some streams. Spillway Creek at Beaver's Bend is one for sure. Diagonal slate with an algae coating, yeehaw!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Pierced ear. (I hate wind). Thankfully, it was a #20 coachman which matched my hat color at the time, so I just fished with the new earing for the remainder of the day.