The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM

len s is on a distinguished road
Default Question from a newbie

I have been reading and learning and I guess some things are universal. Age, eyes, and knots. I had Lasik a few years ago and while I can see a country mile I now need cheaters for reading,I starting IV's, tying knots I would have needed them anyway but lasik sped up the process. My question is this. If you know in advanced some of the patterns you are going to be using has anyone ever tried tying a couple of tippet fly combinations, put each in its own little zip lock bag, and use as needed with a loop to loop connection to the leader? I figure this has already been tried and found not to be a good idea but I have to ask.

Len S
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question from a newbie

You're right I don't think it's a good idea...How will you stock flies with a tippet.Maybe you could try a fly threader...I posted a video in my"little tricks to share thread" it may help too...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this thread. This should solve your problem:

Hemostat Knot
Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Some No-Knot fas-snaps might help you out.

Rick
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest first solution to try is to buy a cheap set of higher power reading glasses for your fishing shirt. Take a small fly to Walmart with tippet and try tying a fly until you get the "power" you need.

Simple.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with the advise already given but there are also the flip downs that attach to the end of your hat. I think the cheaters will have more magnification power though. I haven't looked into either....YET LOL

This might be just what you're looking for.

Cliff Outdoors - The Deuce
Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have had a pair of clip-on or flip-down cheaters in my vest for a long time, though I seldom need them.
Years ago a friend tied some really tiny (for me) flies probably #20's or #22's. The only tippet that would thread through the eyes was 6X. I pretied them at home, stuck the hooks into a small chunk of packing foam and wrapped the tippet around the foam, and secured the free end of the tippet in a slot (slice) cut in the foam. I tried pretying loops opposite the fly, but it was difficult to straighten the kinks out of the tippet with the knot on the end. Having to tie a loop in 6x or 8X was as bad as trying to tie the fly on.
I still have those flies, tippet, foam in a baggie in a drawer. I don't think I've ever fished them.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have used the fas snaps in the past and they seemed to work fine

casey

ARFE
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM

len s is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys I knew it could not be as easy as pre tying walleye snells. I have "cheaters" every else so another couple pair can't hurt.

Len S
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Len,

Welcome to the forum, it looks like you're getting plenty of encouragement on the various ways to solve the sight problem. I'm not using tiny dry flies here but have had lots of experience tying them on in failing light. Although the optical quality of the 'Flip Focal' magnifiers that clip & pin to the brim of a cap are not as good as that of Rx type cheaters I find that the Flip Focal is hard to lose. When I relied on a pair of drug store reading glasses for close range magnification they indeed worked well but loss & damage were always a problem. Using the flip down acrylic type pinned to a cap put an end to the problem. I still keep a pair of reading glasses in my tackle bag in the boat for backup though.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;