The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Tying on a fly

Do you have a preference to how you tie your fly to the tippet? I don't mean as in knot, I'm talking about do you run the line thru the hook eye from the top or the bottom? The top being the upper part if you were holding the fly with the hook down. The bottom being if you run the line thru from the barb side.

If you have a preference, why?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Tying on a fly

I usually go through the bottom but ot makes absolutely no difference whatsoever

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

If the hook eye and tippet sizes allow it, I usually tie on with a palomar knot. If the fly is large, bushy or winged, I try to tie on so I'm pushing the fly wings or eye first through the loop so the loop doesn't tangle in the dressing. Other than that, I don't think it makes any difference.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
Do you have a preference to how you tie your fly to the tippet? I don't mean as in knot, I'm talking about do you run the line thru the hook eye from the top or the bottom? The top being the upper part if you were holding the fly with the hook down. The bottom being if you run the line thru from the barb side.

If you have a preference, why?
I have a preference and it depends on the hook eye.

A straight eye can be entered for either direction but for up and down eye hooks, you enter from the side of the eye that is facing the forward and not "blocked" by material on the hook shank.

For example, for a down eye hook, you enter from the top and an up eye from the bottom. This allows you the best view of the hook eye opening, free from the tie off knot.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I have a preference and it depends on the hook eye.

A straight eye can be entered for either direction but for up and down eye hooks, you enter from the side of the eye that is facing the forward and not "blocked" by material on the hook shank.

For example, for a down eye hook, you enter from the top and an up eye from the bottom. This allows you the best view of the hook eye opening, free from the tie off knot.
I do it the way SilverCreek does but I'm not sure why. I think most clinch knots will end up the same no matter which way you start from.