The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM

handtie is on a distinguished road
Default Float tubers

I just scored a gunnison trout unlimited float tube from the thrift store. Works great. I have never flied from a tube only bait/casting. Where I am going has trout, bass, blue gills, sunfish and cats. Might the tubers share some wealth of knowledge for a first timer?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 PM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Float tubers

OK first off I'm gonna be 53 this year. I have floated still water. It's a bit of work but it does get you away from the banks. I travel in reverse. I find it easier to just flutter my legs than it is to go forward. Going forward for me is a bit tricky. It is hard to pick the other foot up and pump, you seem to lose the momentum. Not so when you go backwards.

You do sit pretty low in the water. I prefer a boat with a seat to get you above the action.

And at the end of the day my legs feel it. Best to start out slow if you are of an advanced age. My legs will bother me the next day if I kick all over the lake.

But you will catch some nice fish with it that you would have missed otherwise. Buy some floats for your gear that you can't attach to yourself or the tube. Travel light and wear a vest.

Good luck using it.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

eat a decent breakfast, including a banana before you go out, this will help limit leg cramps. In cold water dress in layers, paying extra attention to keeping your feet and toes warm. Yes, until you get used to it, you will have tired legs and feel it the first few times out, but if you tube a lot, this will eventually go away.

I carry a floating, type 1 and type 4 sinking lines, bigger fish are usually deeper and near the drop offs, edges of weed beds, etc.

If fish are rising, watch them, see if there is a pattern to where they are rising if they are rising in a line it is usually at or near the dropoffs or edges of the weeds, that is where you want to cast, and slowly and quietly troll your line through by light kicking of the tube.

Some folks find a spot, sit there and cast with an indicator into the area where fish are rising, some kick (troll) slowly through likely areas. Even if fish are rising there are usually fish that will take a nymph 3 to 6 feet underwater.

be aware of what types of bugs are on the water, pick a pattern that will come close to what the fish are eating for best results. i.e. if damsels are on the water, damsel nymphs are most likely the bug of choice.

Have fun, and go with a buddy or where others are tubing, float tubes will give you freedom you didn't have before when wading the lakes and still waters, but I still believe it is best to have someone else around in case something goes wrong. I have never flipped my tube or had an issue, and most tubes these days have multiple chambers, but, there is still something to be said for the buddy system.

other cautions - keep a PFD on or close (in case you spring a leak) I have two chambers and a floating seat on mine, but still keep a PFD in the back area. Also watch for the wind to pick up. If it is getting windy, get close to shore or off the water, it can get tough, even with a V shaped tube to kick against the wind.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for stumps
oarfish likes this.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM

I was in a hurry last night leaving work and I should have said I have float tubed alot before and very experienced. That said thanks for the tips they are awesome! That kind of stuff should be a sticky somewhere. My question was more geared toward how to fly in a tube. Normally I stand and don't usually have to wade. Sitting in the tube puts me very close to water where I used to have the clearence of standing (ground to a little above gut). I will now be sitting with half that space. Any tips for the stripped out line not becoming a tangled mess? Stuff like that
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to practice casting sitting in a chair or on the ground.
Others may tell you that a longer rod will help keep your backcast off the water, but it's really a good casting technique that's important.
Your tube should have come with a "stripping apron". If you coil your line as you strip, you shouldn't have much problems with tangles.
Stretching your line before you hit the water will help keep the tangles away too.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You might want to practice casting sitting on the ground.
Others may tell you that a longer rod will help keep your backcast off the water, but it's really a good casting technique that's important.
Your tube should have come with a "stripping apron". If you coil your line as you strip, you shouldn't have much problems with tangles.
Stretching your line before you hit the water will help keep the tangles away too.
It did. I was wondering about the longer rod if it would make a difference or not Cannot afford a new rod right now so the one I have will have to do. I will have to sit on the ground when it thaws out today and (oh gosh this is bad) try the rod while sitting on the ground (great tip by the way).

Thanks for the insights
Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have fished from a toon/tube a few times :-)
I say, the fins are your life line. Get a pair that is comfortable and effective. More fin in the water the better they are.
I have been on some bad waters where it took every ounce of energy to get back to shore.
Sooo, here is my take, the shorter Caddis fins work fine on most waters. You do have to work full force in wind. Scuba fins, very nice. Allows you to lean back and flutter your feet like a swimmer thus moving you on the up and down stroke. But, being a softer rubber, I found I was working hard in bad water. For hard core bad waves and wind, I love the spoon shape of Force Fins. BUT, force fins are not as effective with larger feet.

Second advise, get some kind of rod holder and take at least two rods out with you. One strung up with floating or slow sink and one with faster sink. It is a major pain to change out line ON the water.

Length of rod really shouldn't matter as you are mobile. I do have a 10' 5 wt however, that I fins a bit of a pain in a tube/toon. Great for rivers though. I like 7' to 8' rods on my boat, but length is really not an issue
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM

mytyt is on a distinguished road

I started Fly fishing this past year after fishing jigs etc. from my tube for the past 5 years. Now two flyrods are all that go on the tube with me. Nothing like the feel of a fish hitting a Bugger or wet fly on the strip. Drys are ok but I get more thrill from having the line almost ripped out of my hands. For me a type 1 and 4 sinking lines
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Type 1 and type IV for me as well and a floating line. Casting is not a real issue as you can cast as far as you can, then kick a little to let more line out if you want. One of the cool things about tubes is you can catch fish as close as 10 or 15 feet away. I have stationed myself in the middle of rising fish and casted all around me and caught a lot of fish. If you move slowly and quietly you don't spook them.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.